Hands On With Nintendo's Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I'll wait until next year to really judge the Wii U controller, this is still early demo hardware. Hopefully they can improve the display a little. I remember editors talking about how much the feel of the Wiimote improved in the months leading up to launch.

Question for Tom's: How did the buttons/analog sliders feel??

tuanmai

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Question for Tom's: How did the buttons/analog sliders feel??[/citation]

The buttons and sliders were great actually, not too stiff and pretty comfortable overall. It really was a bit like holding an oversized DS, though the buttons are a bit softer.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
If there's one thing you can't say about Nintendo is that they lack build quality. It's no surprise you found the controller to be very good overall.

Anyway, besides Nintendo fanbois, I'd say that the Wii U (Weu? xD) will be a tough bone to sell. Regular families which still own a functional Wii won't have much incentive for the new console. Even more when it has so-so multimedia capabilities (no Blue ray? For real?) and a sucky online store... No person associated UID, but console associated? A lot of minus points also in that regard.

Nintendo better treat Devs very nice so they develop great games for it. And let's see if MS flames the party with the "720" being incompatible with the "360" arch (making the Wii U hard to port into). Sony still has to get it's act together so it's a non-factor ATM.

Cheers!

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]and a sucky online store... No person associated UID, but console associated?[/citation]
The online infrastructure has not even been talked about yet so where do you get this from? The most we've learned so far is from Ubisoft and they did say you get individual accounts.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Unless this new system can handle a graphics engine like the newest Unreal engine, flawlessly, then I won't expect much. Also, it HAS TO be in 1080p and have 3D. And, have the same thing Kinect has, but better. Build this all into one system, AND give home users a 3D/Blue-Ray/DVD player all into one, you've got it sold. The PS3, XBOX 360 were so sophisticated that they will be hard to 'sell' newer versions of them. I can see why they're waiting a few more years. I just hope they're right on par with the highest end PCs upon release.

G

hey joshkorn kid, guess what. if you want good graphics you get a PC. everything else you get nintendo. sorry, kid. that's just the rules.

nunchucks

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Give it a couple of months/years Sony/Microsoft will have their own rendition of this technology. Remember the motion sensing controller? Nintendo had one, then Sony acted like they always had one... btw, what happened to that in the 6-axis controller? Oh I forgot, it's now call the "Move". Nintendo, revolutionary? Maybe not, but for the majority? Yes.

zblade

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I remember when Sony said that the Wii motion controller was nothing but a gimmick and people will be bored of it after a few weeks. A few years later, Sony released the new Move controller and how they were saying is the next generation controller as if the were the one who truely brought the motion controller into the gaming industry.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 720 and PS4 comes out with a screen on the controller (I know Sega done this already but Nintendo was the first to actually make full use of it instead of showing pictures).

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
A few things:

- Why the focus on comparing the screen to a smartphone screen, it's simply a controller/tablet/U and not meant for phone duties?
- Why focus on multitouch when that's probably not required?

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]A few things:- Why the focus on comparing the screen to a smartphone screen, it's simply a controller/tablet/U and not meant for phone duties?- Why focus on multitouch when that's probably not required?[/citation]
Yeah, there is no immediate relevance for that kind of feature. Perhaps people are trying to envision this as being more than it needs to be? I hope sales don't take a hit due to this mindset.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I don't get it, what is a TV needed for then? IT appears that the whole game can be played on the Controller screen. People who have i/e=pads need this WiiU for what exactly? I guess to play MArio and Zelda in 1080p, but that 1080p is for TV which brings me back to the first question. What is the TV needed for?

PASS! give us PS4 news Sony.

dribblesbarbax

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Unless this new system can handle a graphics engine like the newest Unreal engine, flawlessly, then I won't expect much. Also, it HAS TO be in 1080p and have 3D. And, have the same thing Kinect has, but better. Build this all into one system, AND give home users a 3D/Blue-Ray/DVD player all into one, you've got it sold. The PS3, XBOX 360 were so sophisticated that they will be hard to 'sell' newer versions of them. I can see why they're waiting a few more years. I just hope they're right on par with the highest end PCs upon release.[/citation

You do realise that in order to have a system to run the newest Unreal Tech you would need four of the fastest GPU's running together. Thats $1500 spent already. 3D capability. Add another $500. Blue-ray, another $200. Sure who wouldnt want that. But I'm living on planet earth. I have no idea where you're living.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]The online infrastructure has not even been talked about yet so where do you get this from? The most we've learned so far is from Ubisoft and they did say you get individual accounts.[/citation]

3DS store. Go check it out.

You can bet MS won't do a re-work on that just for the Wii U, unless they take the hint, off course. And Ubisoft can do it for it's games, just like EA does. In Steam you have the Steam account and the EA account.

Cheers!

brain54

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]I don't get it, what is a TV needed for then? IT appears that the whole game can be played on the Controller screen. People who have i/e=pads need this WiiU for what exactly? I guess to play MArio and Zelda in 1080p, but that 1080p is for TV which brings me back to the first question. What is the TV needed for?PASS! give us PS4 news Sony.[/citation]

Looks at the ghost recon trailer.
Sure, for some wii u games it's a vital part, and maybe a gimmick that requires no tv screen, but for other it's simply a really cool tool to add..

Imagine giving your squad orders in Battlefield 3 through a commander like futuristic overview in your hand :D PRICELESS.

This makes me wish I could preorder the wii u already XD but all the sites up for pre order only offer notification..

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I do not know why Nintendo and everyone is quite about it, but this hardware may become THE ULTIMATE living room entertainment system. Think about it. The controller can become KEYBOARD and touch-pad. You can browse internet, and actually type! You can play games like WoW on it! This is holly grail of entertainment system!

therandomuser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]I don't get it, what is a TV needed for then? IT appears that the whole game can be played on the Controller screen. People who have i/e=pads need this WiiU for what exactly? I guess to play MArio and Zelda in 1080p, but that 1080p is for TV which brings me back to the first question. What is the TV needed for?PASS! give us PS4 news Sony.[/citation]

MxM nailed it. You have the TV for a main viewscreen and the WiiU controller for a touchpad/personal screen.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I too need to see more of the Wii U before I give any real judgement, but really to me it looks like the success or failure of something new like this is in the hands of game developers (similar to Kinect and Move, for example). If they find unique, creative, and intuitive ways of incorporating the Wii U's tech and controller into their games, the Wii U could end up being a success. Likewise, if all game devs do is use the screen just to use it, and it doesn't add any added value to games, then the Wii U could end up not succeeding at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.