Hands On With The Microsoft Surface Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I mean it is slightly interesting.... with a certain day late dollar short feel to it.

The real issue will be price. The ARM tablet has to price in the same range or lower than an Ipad 2 (not Ipad 3).

The x86 version still needs to price sub $600.

I suspect MS will price both tablets above what I have quoted and will essentially price themselves out of the market.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]I think the RT is going to be 1366x768, since that is the minimum resolution for snapped apps/windows[/citation]
never mind. it is going to be 1280x800. weird. Though the Pro version makes me really want it. I can't wait to swap my iPad for a Win8 system (assuming that a pilot chart app comes soon).

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It interesting to read comments on all the other news articles about these. Many clueless fanatics are saying these are better than the iPad because of the number of Windows applications available. Obviously that's not true for the RT version since it is not x86 compatible. I expect there will be many complaints by people who buy the RT version to play Crysis. :D

I like the keyboard/cover concept but can't see anyone typing on the touch version for long periods of time. It's good enough for the occasional email.

Note to TH webmasters: Having the slideshow change slides whenever I use arrow keys in a text box is really annoying, especially when they change the height of the slide frame and cause the whole page content to move up and down.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Have to agree about the "day late" feel, price being a potential issue - and somewhat about the keyboard, though it's the same concept as my brother's Android tablet (and his cover with a keyboard built in) - just as flat, but for quick input now and again, works fine.

I can't help but wonder if having two versions of the tablet (RT and Pro) isn't going to end up coming back to bite them, though. "My Windows 8 tablet can't run XYZ!" "Sure, mine can!" Cue call to tech support for "broken" tablets... or maybe I'm just pessimistic.

As much as I don't like Win8 on the desktop, I am looking forward to seeing how it behaves and feels on a tablet.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]never mind. it is going to be 1280x800. weird. Though the Pro version makes me really want it. I can't wait to swap my iPad for a Win8 system (assuming that a pilot chart app comes soon).[/citation]

The RT might be 1366x768. I guessed 1280x800 in the article because most 10-inch tablets use that rez right now.
-Devin Connors, Tom's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.