hard disk not detected

NETRA___28

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015
i have a 500 GB seagate expansion portable external hard drive, when i plug it in the hard disk is not detected,its also not in the disk management.it is not detected in any other laptops.i tried all the usb ports and still i cant find the problem with it..please help me i have many important files in it that i really need

Hi,

What did you use to make your HDD as an external HDD? Did you use an enclosure? Most of the time it requires a device like that to make it run like an external HDD. Make sure that your HDD is also getting enough voltage to run it and be detected by any Laptop. You mentioned that it's not being detected by other Laptop that could only mean that the HDD is not really running.

Here are samples of a enclosure.
http://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there NETRA___28

As the device is nowhere to be recognized, there are several options:
- There is something wrong with the cable. This is why, you can start with just attaching the drive with a different cables.
- There is something wrong with the enclosure. In that case, given the data stored on it is crucial, your safest bet for recovering the data is to contact a data recovery company. Apart from that, some users attempt to take the drive out of the enclosure in similar cases. Just keep in mind that this will not work in case the drive has proprietary connector or hardware encryption. Also, this will void the warranty.
- There is something wrong with the HDD itself. In that case, you will need to contact a data recovery company.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD