Solved! Hard drives

ozan831

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,
I have two internal hard drives. The smaller of the two has the operating system installed on it and I would to move the operating system over to the other drive. This is on a laptop I bought from ibuypower.com

Solution
You can create recovery discs. The only reason why I cannot tell you black or white if you can, or cannot use recover discs or copy all files to the other drive. Is because the hard drive is different, Microsoft's security covers that. to make that no one copies their Windows files and puts them onto other computers to use it illegally, I just don't know if that includes the hard drive, if it does, then a recovery disc will most likely not work. If it's worth the hassle for you, then, you will need a few blank DVDs, click start, then type in recdisc.exe
Click it, then follow the steps to create a set of recovery discs. I don't think it will work.
One other thing you can do, is thru another computer, you can try copying all the files off...

ozan831

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
does this mean that I will have to purchase the os again. I do not have the recovery disks or key. Is there a tutorial that could walk me through this?

Thanks

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
You can create recovery discs. The only reason why I cannot tell you black or white if you can, or cannot use recover discs or copy all files to the other drive. Is because the hard drive is different, Microsoft's security covers that. to make that no one copies their Windows files and puts them onto other computers to use it illegally, I just don't know if that includes the hard drive, if it does, then a recovery disc will most likely not work. If it's worth the hassle for you, then, you will need a few blank DVDs, click start, then type in recdisc.exe
Click it, then follow the steps to create a set of recovery discs. I don't think it will work.
One other thing you can do, is thru another computer, you can try copying all the files off the drive with Windows, and put them on the other drive, you'll need to copy ALL the files on that hard drive.

Solution