Hard re-boot hasn't worked...won't power up...blinking light

marylpf

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I factory-reset my Toshiba Satellite laptop last night, and it proceeded as it should. The next morning it won't power up...just the blinking orange light. It was fine before. I have tried the hard reboot in every suggested way to no avail.

Solution
Parts always have the manufacturers name on them. So if the names on them match the name for the manufacturer of the laptop then you have an OEM part. Or you can also search online for OEM versions of the parts and see if yours match.
Try the following and see if it will turn on.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, if not yet, no big deal. Now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in. Yes sometimes they will turn on, or try to turn on, even with nothing attached/plugged in.)
6. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

marylpf

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

marylpf

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I tried the hard reboot many times before posting with no success. I had just purchased a power/charger cord and battery via Ebay. They worked perfectly initially. It wasn't until the next morning that I got the blinking light when trying to power up. Thanks for your response.

The information I originally gave you was meant to see if there are any signs of life, and to see if the cord and/or battery are the culprits.

The power cord and battery that you got, were they used or new? and OEM or after market? I ask because used and/or after market could easily lead to not working correctly.

While after market can be great for some things, for laptop batteries and charger cords it isn't a good option.

Hello.

Does the orange light flash even with the battery removed and plugged with the power cord? If yes, then it's two things:
1) Your power cord is defect.
2) Your laptop is defect.

If the computer doesn't even give any signs of life with only the power cord and no battery, then your power cord is defect, or the charge port is broken.
Does your charge port any signs of break or tear? Has it been pulled or dropped recently?

marylpf

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

marylpf

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Both the battery and charger cord were said to be new. It confuses me since they initially both worked perfectly. I don't know if they are OEM or not. :-( Thanks for trying to help me.