Harddrive not installed

africadeedee

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Dell inspiron was working fine ...next day screen comes up saying no Bootable device ..harddrive not installed ..can anyone help meplsase

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @africadeedee!

Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? If it's a desktop, try swapping the SATA cable inside the PC case (only if the PC is not covered by the warranty, otherwise opening the case could void the warranty). If you have a spare SATA cable, try using it instead and also see how the system will boot if you plug the HDD in a different port on the motherboard.

EDIT: Just saw that the thread is the Laptop Support category! I believe it's best to use the assistance of a professional PC repair service and let the guys there check the connections of the HDD inside the laptop. Cracking the case will void the warranty, as I already mentioned. Check the laptop's HDD from another computer will help you...

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @africadeedee!

Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? If it's a desktop, try swapping the SATA cable inside the PC case (only if the PC is not covered by the warranty, otherwise opening the case could void the warranty). If you have a spare SATA cable, try using it instead and also see how the system will boot if you plug the HDD in a different port on the motherboard.

EDIT: Just saw that the thread is the Laptop Support category! I believe it's best to use the assistance of a professional PC repair service and let the guys there check the connections of the HDD inside the laptop. Cracking the case will void the warranty, as I already mentioned. Check the laptop's HDD from another computer will help you determine whether it's the source of the issue or not. This error could be indicating a failed connection or a failed hardware (HDD or SATA connector).

Keep me posted if you have more questions, though!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution