Hardwire 2-pin fan to USB rail

smtrejo

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hi,

I'm having high temperature issues with my HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook and I want to hardwire the fan so it runs at max speed. I've donde all sort of things, the last one was to flash a modded BIOS to control fan's speeds but the menu wasn't unlocked. So this is my last resort.

I read somewhere that the fan can be hardwired to a USB 5v rail internally. How is it done? I don't want to strip the wires out to connect them to an external power supply. Any tutorial or guide will be appreciated.

I found this photo similar to my mainboard, the yellow arrow indicates the 2-pin fan connector:

disassemble-notebook-25.jpg

Thanks in advance.

smtrejo

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from smtrejo : "Hardwire 2-pin fan to USB rail"

Hi,

I'm having high temperature issues with my HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook and I want to hardwire the fan so it runs at max speed. I've donde all sort of things, the last one was to flash a modded BIOS to control fan's speeds but the menu wasn't unlocked. So this is my last resort.

I read somewhere that the fan can be hardwired to a USB 5v rail internally. How is it done? I don't want to strip the wires out to connect them to an external power supply. Any tutorial or guide will be appreciated.

I found this photo similar to my mainboard, the yellow arrow indicates the 2-pin fan connector:

disassemble-notebook-25.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. It would be wiser to replace the fan with a new one if it isn't running correctly, as well as clean out the interior of the device of dust and debris. Also make sure that it always has good airflow and mayhap even try a cooling pad. But, again, I wouldn't recommend hard wiring the fan to run at full speed all the time. That won't resolve the problem, it will actually create more.

smtrejo

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hey @webworkings!!!

I'll talk a little about my sad story. A while ago, like a year or so, I happily played some soccer game on my old and low specs laptop on weekends, when it began to get hot the fan rapidly started to spin at different speeds (it sounded like a racing car). Then one day, I noticed FPS loss, lag, struttering, freezing, throttling and all kind of things that can bother you while having fun. I took a look (processes, background apps, antivirus, firewall, WiFi) everything ok, except the fan that wasn't making noise. I wasn't sure if it was a BIOS update that I made by those days, if it was dirty or a damaged fan.

So, I'll list the things I've already done on the past +6 months:

- Updated latest BIOS.
- Enabled/disabled Fan Always On (HP BIOS are very limited).
- Checked Power Options and Cooling Policy on Windows.
- Opened the laptop and cleaned the fan, vents and heatsink. Wasn't dirty because I used compresed air every 2-3 months.
- Installed HP's Cool Sense. Failed because my fan is 2-pin fan and it won't detect it.
- Replaced the fan.
- Made a fresh Windows install on a SSD (Home Basic, less services, lightweight).
- Installed all sort of diagnostic tools (HWMonitor, AIDA64, SpeedFan, etc.).
- Built a big (and noisy) DIY cooling pad with a 12v Cool Master fan (the thing blows air at my face). It dropped from +90C to 79C at full system stress.
- Rolled-back to previous versions of BIOS.
- I considered thermal paste re-apply, but I don't think that would resolve the fan problem.

Believe me, I did a lot of things (many) that I can't remember them all. I'm a software developer and time to time I do basic maintainance to PCs & Laps :]

Anyway, last week, I found that fan speeds could be manipulated modifying the EC regs using a tool named RWEverything . I was scared because if it was not properly used it could brick my laptop. So by coincidence I read at some forum that it wasn't necesary to take the risk because there was already a tool that could that for you: the mighty NoteBook FanControl And I tell you why is mighty (at least for me). When I ran the tool and loaded my model default settings (guess what), the fan started to spin at full speed (just like in those glorious days when I wouldn't lose a game because the lag and system unresponsivness). Unfortunetly, this tool would't maintain a constant fan speed because it was interfering with the system's cooling policy, so it would frecuently start and stop and that added more lag to my game. I realized that I needed to take a step further.

Yesterday, I found at Bios Mods website a modded BIOS that supposedly would unlock all the bios features, I was very excited because I saw somewhere a screenshot showing the Thermal/Power Options for another model, so I said "This is it!". Downloaded, flashed, rebooted and then I desperately started to press F10 "Yeah!!! Yeah!!!", and, much for my disappointment (or deception)... there where only a few new options available: IDE, SATA, ROM and some other boot settings, no Thermal/Power Options... (I swear I heard The Joker laughting at me). It felt like a punch in the chest, so that's why internally hardwiring my humble 2-wire fan to a USB rail is the last resort for me. Wiring it ouside doesn't guarantee that the fan will start when I turn on the lap, or someone could unplug the fan and cause a GPU/CPU melt.

Yeah, poor me, but I've run out of options.

Thanks for your time

smtrejo

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

How about wiring the fan outside, with some kind of "voltage regulator"? I have the old fan that supposedly wasn't working but it does.

This is what I intend to do. Could the PSU be a USB port?

pic-5.jpg