Solved! Has anyone bought generic unbranded smartphones available on ebay etc?

supashaka

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
1) I'm hoping someone can advise pls! I'm a very light user mostly for wsapp and sometimes maps/gps when walking (no gaming and occasionally watch youtube videos) so was hoping to find something £40-£50.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M20-Pro-...var=564119885073&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

There are others I'm looking at but they don't mention anything about the processor (sometimes it'll mention the number of cores but no name)? The specs seem way better than even xiaomi phones for the same money, I know there's gonna be no support updates etc. how important is that? Couldn't I just search for a custom ROM, try to upgrade to higher android version etc? Would it be difficult/impossible to find roms for an unbranded phone?
Also I've read that there's a possibility they could just be sneaky re-brands so potentially could be getting a xiaomi etc. phone for less?

2) I'm also considering paying a bit more if unbranded is a no-go. Xiaomi Redmi 7 3GB/32GB around £100 vs Xiaomi Mi Play 4GB/64GB if it's £6 more?
I like the extra ram and storage for only £6 more but the battery seems better on R7 and larger screen

Solution
I can't say in regards to which of those phones. Not ones I really have any positives for myself, so better I leave any advice on them from others. :)

Spyware, viruses, malware, all are different and in most cases need different software to search for them. While you can do that to keep an eye on some things, that won't stop anything that comes preinstalled on the device nor any apps from being installed. The best you can do is keep a close eye on what is on the phone so that you notice if something new is added. Turn off the option to auto update and don't allow for apps from unknown sources to be installed. But even then it can happen. Some apps you allow to be installed (or even ones that come on the device) will install apps on...
I would not even consider the first option listed. There is enough problems with a device you buy from a large company and making sure it is working correctly, problem free, and safe to use. Those you are talking about i would not even consider touching. Not unless you want the thing to 1. not last 2. have problems and 3. likely have things installed that are going to be problematic and possibly dangerous (steal data/info).

Not a fan of Xiaomi devices. They just don't seem to be up to par with many other brands, however, it would be way better than the other options. But don't go used! With those you still run the risk of the above. I don't know how many times (lost track of count) I have been asked how to resolve some unresolvable issue from a device purchased used online.

Oh, as for ROMs, personally not a fan and you do run the same kind of risk when using them. Not to mention risking ruining a device. You may well be better paying a tiny bit extra and getting a device that has a warranty but perhaps is unlocked.

Good luck.

supashaka

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
Thank you for the advice, I really didn't want to spend more than £50 to be honest, I really am a very light phone user (use my landline for calls more often lol and my PC for everything else except wsapp which I check every few days) would running an antivirus scan like malwarebytes regularly not keep on top of any spyware etc? Unfortunately I've already ordered a refurbished xiaomi redmi 2 for my wife from China and is on it's way so could use the advice doh!

If it comes down to option 2 which of the 2 phones above would you advise?

I can't say in regards to which of those phones. Not ones I really have any positives for myself, so better I leave any advice on them from others. :)

Spyware, viruses, malware, all are different and in most cases need different software to search for them. While you can do that to keep an eye on some things, that won't stop anything that comes preinstalled on the device nor any apps from being installed. The best you can do is keep a close eye on what is on the phone so that you notice if something new is added. Turn off the option to auto update and don't allow for apps from unknown sources to be installed. But even then it can happen. Some apps you allow to be installed (or even ones that come on the device) will install apps on their own, without you choosing to do so.

You should also watch what permissions an app wants/says it needs. If there is no reason for it to have access to something in particular I would seriously question installing the app.

Solution