Has my phone been hacked?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hukkus

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Hello,

A couple of years ago I had a mobile phone with an old android version. I knew nothing about stagefright vulnerabilities and every video I was receiving on my whatsap was automatically downloaded to my phone.

I received several very strange video messages from the same person. It was weird but I didn't suspect too much about it, as I never thought a phone could be hacked just with a video message. Some weeks ago I heard about stagefright related attacks and I suddenly remembered about those messages. I suspect my phone was hacked, and I would really like to be able to know for sure.

Although I don't use it any more, I still have that phone. And I can imagine that it might have some corrupted files, or some malware installed somewhere if it was actually hacked? And that possibly those files or folders cointain information on where the data from my phone was being sent to (maybe to another phone via SMS)?

If any of you knows how to do this or if there is any advice you could give me on how to have some certainty on what happened, it would be very appreciated!

youtube, google, bing, ....

in general:
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/tell-if-your-android-has-been-hacked-what-you-can-do-about-it-0166470/

Also I would change my google password if you currently use the same account as before on your new phone.

this forum does not support hacking, therfore I think we are at an end here. Good luck anyways with your phone :)

edit: Did you watch the videos from whatsapp? If not, your phone would be fine. Downloading wouldn´t trigger the exploit there.
Only MMS Service would open it in the background without your knowledge and would infect the phone.

hukkus

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Why do you say "Did you watch the videos from whatsapp? If not, your phone would be fine. Downloading wouldn´t trigger the exploit there." I had read the opposite thing -I don't remember where-

Status
Not open for further replies.