HaupHauge 2250 Help, Digital Signal Possible?

Daniel Barnett

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I posted this in the wrong category sorry, Supposed to be in "Graphics and Displays"
I'm in college and i wanted to watch TV in my room without having to buy another Television to clutter everything up. So i bought the tuner card.Our college provides digital service through Coax jacks on the walls that usually give all digital signal to a TV (i have a tv in the living room of a college apartment that receives all of the channels perfectly fine). But when i hook up the jack to my computer (into 2250 card) i only get crappy SD and spanish channels.
After reading up on this website and others, it appears that im only getting unencrypted channels and that i cant receive the digital HD encrypted channels? Is that correct? If so is there another thing i need in between the wall and my computer to decrypt them?(Legal way, as in a purchased device from cable company or something)

Solution
Does the TV in the living room have a set top box (or a cablecard slot)? If so, then that TV is receiving both encrypted and unencrypted channels. The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 can only accept unencrypted channels from your cable provider (or the unencrypted output of a set top box). In order to get the encrypted channels, you're going to need either a set top box in your room or a cablecard device for your computer.

If there is not a set top box in the living room between the wall cable outlet and the TV, then the channels you receive in your room should be identical to the channels you receive in the living room; assuming that the cable lines are all connected to the cable source (where it comes into the building). If the channels are...

kanewolf

Judicious

The webpage shows it should be able to receive unencrypted HD signals. Do you just need to configure it to search for cable channels rather than off the air channels? Could you have the coax plugged into the wrong port? Should be connected to the port at the top of the card...

kanewolf

Judicious

If you have a TV in the other room which gets HD programming without a cable box, then either there is unencrypted programming or you have a TV with a cable card installed.

Have you tested your tuner card connected to the coax in the other room? It is possible that the wall plug you are connecting to is not connected to anything and the coax is just acting like a bad antenna.

Does the TV in the living room have a set top box (or a cablecard slot)? If so, then that TV is receiving both encrypted and unencrypted channels. The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 can only accept unencrypted channels from your cable provider (or the unencrypted output of a set top box). In order to get the encrypted channels, you're going to need either a set top box in your room or a cablecard device for your computer.

If there is not a set top box in the living room between the wall cable outlet and the TV, then the channels you receive in your room should be identical to the channels you receive in the living room; assuming that the cable lines are all connected to the cable source (where it comes into the building). If the channels are different, then it seems likely that the cable outlet in your room either acts as an antenna or is connected to an antenna; picking up your local stations.

If this is the case, talk with your RA/Apartment Manager. S/He should be able to reconnect the outlet in your room to the cable TV source.

-Wolf sends

Solution