Having a lot of issues with a brand new Dell Inspiron 5577 (GTX 1050) laptop.

benranger7

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
Hi! So my girlfriend recently purchased her first kind of any real 'gaming' rig, a Dell Inspiron 5577 Gaming laptop. It was working normally for the first few weeks, but she's starting to have a lot of odd issues. The screen will briefly freeze and/or tear for a second or so on random applications, whether it be games or something like Chrome. Certain games will just completely freeze, with no way to exit besides closing the process through task manager. More recently, the mouse seems to be flickering in and out of visibility without any real consistency, in games or on the desktop.

It seems like some kind of video driver issue, so we've made sure everything is updated, run a few diagnostic checks, made sure that the GTX 1050 was set to be preferred globally (rather than the onboard graphics), but nothing seems to be changing it.

(UPDATE: Ran Open Hardware Monitor, and it looks like the peaks of each of her CPU cores at at 100%. They're between 50%-70% when just running Chrome and Discord, and 90+% when running a game. So, it seems like the issue might be the cpu, but I can't seem to figure out what would be causing this much strain on a new rig.)

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Specs:

7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
8GB 2400MHz DDR4
256GB Solid State Drive
15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English

Solution
Did you run a scan for viruses and spyware? Try a factory reset once you have files and settings saved. If that does not help, it's a new laptop, contact Dell support and see what they say.

jackstawow

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015
Glad to hear someone else is having the same issue...

I have the i7 version of the 5577 and have been plagued with issues from the start. I initially bought this laptop in mid-June 2017, needing a laptop because I was about to go working abroad. The first one I bought experienced the same issues, so I sent it back and got a replacement, only to find the replacement was having the same issues... I was pressed for time, so I was forced to stick with the laptop and look for a solution.

It's been almost 4-months since I bought it, and after hours spent tweaking and researching, I am about done with the machine. I work as an IT on a regular basis, and after trying almost every trick in the book, I can't find anything to fix it.

I am reluctantly deciding to send it to Dell for them to fix it, even though I doubt they are going to. I advise you do the same, especially since it is still on warranty... If you have it, you might as well use it.