Having problem with Pioneer VSX-919AH-K. Audio/Video not showing when turning unit on.

bill0405

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Very strange issue I'm having. When I power on my cable, receiver, and TV with my universal remote, all 3 turn on properly. However, after a few seconds audio from the TV program will begin sounding, and 1/2 second later it goes silent. At no point does video show up. What I now do is switch the input away from my cable, and then switch it back to cable and the video/audio work fine. The only time I have this problem is when I'm powering all 3 on at once. Anyone have any clue what might be wrong? I emailed Pioneer tech support and they told me to turn Kuro Link off and that didn't seem to affect anything. I also tried swapping HDMI cable brands to see if one of the cables data transfer was slow or something, but no luck. Hope we can fix this soon! Thanks.

Solution
When you turn all these HDMI connected devices on at the same time they are all looking for the HDMI "handshake" to id what is connected to what. They don't boot up at the same rate or continue looking for the handshake unless something is disconnected and reconnected. I would program the remote to include delays so that you can select what order devices are turned on. You can leave the cable box on all the time which will simplify things. The TV may need to come on last. Try different orders with the original remote.
When you turn all these HDMI connected devices on at the same time they are all looking for the HDMI "handshake" to id what is connected to what. They don't boot up at the same rate or continue looking for the handshake unless something is disconnected and reconnected. I would program the remote to include delays so that you can select what order devices are turned on. You can leave the cable box on all the time which will simplify things. The TV may need to come on last. Try different orders with the original remote.

Solution

bill0405

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

It appears you are on the right track. Unfortunately I am unable to program a delay into the remote :-(. If I turn the receiver on first, and wait a few seconds to turn TV on it works fine. I tried leaving the cable box on and just programming remote to turn the receiver on first and then the TV, but had the same issue. Seems its the "handshake" between the receiver and TV delays in starting that causes the fault. I guess I'm going to have to do things manually. Thanks for the help.