Having problems with my Directv set up

PeterBB

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I've had DTV since 1994. I have 3 DTV receivers, 2 of which have multiples tv's hanging off of them. Last summer seems like DTV must've done some kind of upgrade which complicates that scenario. To wit, the bedroom tv only works if A. I turn the flat screen attached to that same receiver on or B. unplug the flat screen from the DTV receiver... then the other 5 tv's attached to this on DTV receiver all receive a picture without any problem. Interestingly I solved this same problem on a second DTV receiver by buying a new Pioneer amp/receiver and running everything (including the dtv receiver) through it, then from there out, to 3 other tv's and they all work fine now. Prior to that I also had to have that primary flatscreen either on or unplugged. None of this happened until last July. Any thoughts? DTV has been clueless and come up with all kinds of scenarios, my fav so far being it was an HBO anti copying upgrade.

Solution
My sense is that if the flatscreen is connected but not on then the termination is not as it should be.

Purchase and install a terminator for that connection point.

Try replacing the flat screen with another flat screen for testing purposes. Avoid taking anything out of your set up as that would effectively be two changes.

Or, another way you could be test is by moving the flat screen to another receiver group and see if the problem follows.

And, since you know that the setup worked at one time with the existing receiver then maybe the receiver has developed a problem either internally or with the attached connector and cable.

Three things involved: receiver, cable/connectors, flat screen. A bit tedious but with some swapping...
Have you looked at the splitters being used?

The splitters tend to deteriorate fairly quickly especially if outdoors.

And the ones being used these days are of poorer overall quality than the splitters from even just a couple of years ago.

And are any unused connections properly terminated? That can be important.

Inspect the cables: The condition and tightness of connectors on each end and the length of the cable run as much as you can. Look for cable damage, corrosion, and the like.

Could be that something has just gone below the required specs for all to work well.

PeterBB

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

PeterBB

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Good points all, thank you. However, here's the wrinkle I should've included... when I unplug the hd flat screen from the DTV receiver all of the other tv's work just fine. Back to the top, I leave all 3 DTV receivers on 24/7 and that way, no matter where you are in the house, if there's a tv, you have a picture. And all that was fine, even with the HD Flatscreen hooked up... every thing operated as normal, then one day this past summer, if the flatscreen wasn't on, the others got zero signal. Turn it on, poof, all of the tv's attached to that receiver got a picture as well. I'll often disconnect the flatscreen from the DTV unit for weeks on end if there's nothing I care to watch... just so I have the flexibility of watching on the others. Are you keeping up w/ this ?? :) Thanks again for the interest.

My sense is that if the flatscreen is connected but not on then the termination is not as it should be.

Purchase and install a terminator for that connection point.

Try replacing the flat screen with another flat screen for testing purposes. Avoid taking anything out of your set up as that would effectively be two changes.

Or, another way you could be test is by moving the flat screen to another receiver group and see if the problem follows.

And, since you know that the setup worked at one time with the existing receiver then maybe the receiver has developed a problem either internally or with the attached connector and cable.

Three things involved: receiver, cable/connectors, flat screen. A bit tedious but with some swapping about you can narrow it down.

You still have options to look at and troubleshoot. Just be methodical and only change one thing at a time.

Solution

PeterBB

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hmmmmm... well everything worked perfectly well for a year or so then both systems (upstairs & downstairs) developed the same problem at the same time. All the attached tv's only worked if the respective flatscreen was on and/or unplugged. I solved the one in the lower level by purchasing a Pioneer amp and running everything through that... all of the outputs from the Pioneer then go their respective directions to 4 different tv's. It looks like that's the solution. Replace the old Yamaha receiver w/ one that has all of the usb and whatever ports, run the DTV receiver into it then back out to the flatscreen. It worked downstairs and I suppose it'll work upstairs. It's not the $900 that bothers me but hooking it up will be a lot of work because I have lots of stuff (old.. but functioning) hooked to it...and I suppose that gets upgraded as well... taking the tab upwards of $2k. I think what happened is that DTV did some kind of software upgrade and this was an unintended and apparently unknown consequence. If anyone knows about that, do let me know. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS