Hawking Says Looking for Aliens Won't End Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

now all we need to do is create the Nation Security Council for Alien Encounters and make him the head of it and we will be all set

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
i knew this would end up on toms. there are such things as life forms on other planets the universe is too big for us to be the only ones.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]As long as Will Smith is alive, any aliens that cause some shit will get their ass kicked.....[/citation]

As long as that shit is only caused in the States :p

G

Hawking has the right idea. I doubt the aliens would have any more regard for us than we would have for an insect. We'd just be a nuisance in their way..

Thankfully the huge distances in space and limits to the speed of light should keep them away from us if they are out there (they probably are). However if they do happen to find a way to distort space time then we are royally screwed- they WILL find us eventually... In which case I say crack out the nukes! - and Will Smith :)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I watched his TV show last night on Discovery, and he openly states that inviting ET to Earth could be catastrophic. (Big surprise, right?)

For an intelligent species to get here, they will have to possess far, FAR greater technology than we do. That said, what's to prevent them from farming the Earth, and us, as we farm crops, mines, and livestock now? If they don't come in peace, we're screwed!

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
If there was intelligent life with technology that greatly surpassed ours then I think they would find us whether we liked it or not.

worl

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Why would they want our ressources? There's billions of planets richer than Earth but how many of those planets have life on them? Destroying life for pebbles and rocks make no sense at all. I think they would probably far more interrested studying us or at worst us enslaving as pets or whatever an E.T. would do with a human.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]guanyu210379[/nom]Hawking said something like because humans are like that.Actually..who knows...perhaps we are the only ones who are aggressive and greedy..[/citation]

Yeah, because they just drove how many miles just to say hi...

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
thank you Mr obvious, What, people all around the world are trying to make direct contact with alien life? Not even trying to make it so we just spy on them first?

Albert Einstein "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]That said, what's to prevent them from farming the Earth, and us, as we farm crops, mines, and livestock now? If they don't come in peace, we're screwed![/citation]

Maybe the fact that if they are from other planets, they might not find our resources valuable. How do we know they are even going to breathe oxygen. What if our planet is SO toxic to them it isn't worth the effort of conquering us? --- There is also the chance of that.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Screw Will Smith. Long before Will Smith, Rowdy Roddy Piper was kicking alien ass and not even bothering to take names (see: They Live! Nothin like Bulldogging an alien through a coffee table. Guess using the Sleeper Hold didn't make much sense).

Anyway, I agree with the insect hypothesis. Any aliens technologically advanced enough to travel to earth won't care that we can talk, we'll just be insects to them. It was always odd that in Star Trek: TNG, the Prime Directive only seemed to apply to human-like alien species. Beaming down and blasting some ooze-creature with a phaser was never unacceptable. Strange.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Life itself is a very selfish "Force". All life wants is more, is something in return. Life thrives on receiving, everything we do is for ourselves. We give money to a friend expecting a thanks, credit, and if you dont receive it you get upset. You try and get that job so you get paid, if you dont get paid you get upset. You turn on the TV to be entertained, if you're not entertained, you get upset.

So with this said, If an alien species came to earth, this automatically tells us they're far more advanced then we are because they're able to travel and sustain their species through long travels in space. So, this means we have nothing they'll want when it comes to intelligence, so what else would they want? Well, our resources.

But then, if you think about it, the basic resources like water, fuel, etc is all over the galaxy, in every solar system, there are many different types of resources. So, this being the case why would an advanced alien species purposely destroy our planet, the species on it for a bit of resource they can get from Europa, Jupiter, the moon, mars etc?

I personally don't think an Alien species will take the resources off our planet, specially at their level of intelligence. The only thing I can see them doing is using us for experimentation or as something else. Not as slaves, because again, at their level of intelligence one would expect them to already mastered AI, robotics can do work much more efficiently and quickly as us.

So, again, with all this said... would they even bother with us? We have nothing to offer them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.