HD 5870 and GTS 360M notebooks available for pre-order

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
exactly what i thought.

that can't be right surely?

i think notebookcheck is just being a little conservative, they cant have tested it yet right?. i would have expected the 5870m to lie somewhere in between a 5770 and a 5850.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
This is huge, not many recent Asus laptops have had this, but Asus just made me glad even more that I pre-ordered my G73jh!

It supports raid 0 on it's 2 500gb 7200rpm hard drives! Something the previous G72 and G51j didn't.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Asus-Announces-Four-New-Laptops/

Proof is right there! :D

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Except it's not crippled like the HD5750, and has a higher core clock, so it will perform between the desktop HD5750 and 5770, and be the fastest chip out there, with the most features, and still consume less power than its competitors. Not bad for a laptop, even if it's a little less than some people had hoped for.

Definitely interesting, and also interesting to see what they do with the Redwood offspring too, should be alot of thise in mid-range/HTPC laptops.

Either way liking the new options, just wish the whole XGP thing were standard now too especially since these guys are offering the ViDock external with HD4650 (for both solutions), be better with an XGP.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
The price of the g51 with the 360m gts lowered 10 bucks, but they keep raising the price of the g73jh... :pfff: It's up to 1508 after cash discount w/o BD... I thinks it's going to raise even more so if you want one you need to hop on it now.

no1ninja

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

I just set one up for a friend. The thing is lightning fast, was watching bluray movie off the drive through hdmi on a sharp aquos 42 and playing modern warfare demo on the pc, and the bluray did not skip. The game was a little slower than usual though. Still very impressed. The WIFI is stronger than I expected, was getting a superb signal in an area where my other notebooks usually drop.

The things that I did not like:

-Asus did not pre-install in RAID. The OS is on a 120GB partition and the other partition is 340GB Data on same drive, the other drive is butchered into two partition as well. That gives you 4 drive letters, what a mess. Need to reinstall to take advantage of the raid features. Pain in the ass.
-No USB 3.0, right now not a big deal, but 2 years from now this will be a problem.
-No BluRay Player bundle from Asus, had to download Cyberlinks PowerDVD 9, runs great, but its a demo.
-The mouse that comes with this thing is wired, come on Asus! WTF?@# 3 extra bucks is that much of a big deal?
-No remote, ok I knew that, but since the mouse is wired, it makes it a further hurdle if you are using it to watch movies in the living room and have the pc next to the tv. At this price I would think they would include a remote. (Luckily my friend still has one from multimedia Asus she bought 4 years ago)

Conclusion:

Thing still kicks serious ASS and I would buy one if I had the coin to spare.

EDIT: BTW, there are (TWO) 2 X 500GB (7200rpm) drives in the G73JH-A1.