HD 598 is a good gaming headphone?

SlapThatpAssport

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
Is the Sennheiser HD 598 a good headphone for gaming? I will use on PC and I also use console. I don't want headset its because people say it ruins the audio.

If you can't answer these questions, just try to answer the above:

1. Is this 7.1?

2. I have a laptop, so the sound card isn't replacable. Does this have integrated sound card, or can I use it with my laptop's built-in sound card? I have Alienware M17x R5 and it has 3 audio holes. 1 shows a mic icon beside it, the other two shows headphone icon beside it.

I know alot of questions I just want to be satisfied with my gaming. I will use the sennheiser adapter to use with console (Xbox One)

Thank you.

timeconsumer

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
The Sennheiser 598 is great for gaming. Excellent sound and high quality parts. They are stereo headphones so you won't be able to hear if people are walking up from behind you and whatnot, but that depends if you need that or not.

1. No
2. Yes you can use it with your laptop integrated sound.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

That's not true. All natural sounds in real life are produced in mono yet with our two ears, we have no problem telling if something is behind us. What mainly matters is if the game has support for directional sound for headphones, if your ears agree or not with the head related transfer functions used by the game or whatever's processing the audio and if your headphones can provide good directionality and sound stage.

Listen to this which is in stereo with a decent pair of headphones and you'll most likely hear things even behind you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbOmya3X4kw

Also, if you guys happen to live in Toronto, Canada, feel free to demo some Sennheiser HD800's. They are stereo yet sound more "7.1" than gaming headsets.

SlapThatpAssport

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
Lol I live in Vancouver, British Columbia XDD I'm far from Ontario, but we're in the same country! :D

Alright, back to topic. I will be using for Call of Duty: Black Ops III (I know, not a good example), and Grand Theft Auto 5.

My only concerns are, if it is 7.1 and works with my Xbox One using the Sennheiser Console Adapter.

If it's not 7.1, what is it? It's Dolby right? I don't like DTS (my opinion), I like Dolby more. 5.1, or 7.1, or (insert answer here)?

BlueFireZ

Estimable
I also live in British Columbia (in the lower mainland) so yay. To start off, all headphones are 2.0, the 7.1 and 5.1 stuff is virtual.

If i'm correct, Xbox One controllers have the standard 3.5 mm jacks on the bottom, which means you can use any pair of headphones with your console. If you could give a budget and where you're able to buy from (Amazon,Bestbuy, etc), I might be able to recommend a better pair of headphones to you.

SlapThatpAssport

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
(Yay! :D)

I thought the headphones have those weird cables which needs to be plugged in the sound cards. I have a gaming laptop and a Xbox One so I don't want to end up with a headphone that has those cables that need to be plugged in a sound card that supports it, I just want a headphone that is simple, kind of like plug in my Xbox One adapter and just play.

I really don't care about budgets, I'm that type of guy who just wants to find the best, and buy it.

If I was to be reasonable with price, it would be $400 Maximum.

Just because that's my budget, please don't find something pricey for less quality. I want the best headphones not headset that has quality.

Well, this has been a long post. A short way of saying it is, give me the best gaming experience with wide soundstage headphone. XD I appreciate the help.

BlueFireZ

Estimable
Ok got it :D

If your looking for a wide soundstage in your headphones, open ear headphones are the way to go. Their are pros and cons with open ear headphones, a major one is being able to hear the outside world, and the outside world hearing what your listening to you. Im going to list top headphones out there as links to amazon.

Audio Technica ATH-M50x - http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449277267&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (32 Ohms) - http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-32-Monitoring-Applications-32/dp/B008POFOHM/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1449277768&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=beyerdynamic+32+ohm

Sony MDR-1A - http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDR1AB-MDR-1A-Headphone-Black/dp/B00NW353KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449278017&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+1a

AKG K550 - http://www.amazon.ca/AKG-K550-Closed-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B005CNR7B0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1449282191&sr=8-13&keywords=akg+k

Audio Technica ATH-900x (open)- http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD900X-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S331VU/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1449278457&sr=8-40&keywords=audio+technica

Unfortunately their aren't many open ear headphones out there, the last one i listed was the only one i could find.

Hope this Helps!

SlapThatpAssport

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
If I were to be honest, and explain my opinion to you, I don't like Audio Technica. I always see comments on Audio Technica saying negative stuff, while I see alot of positives on the Sennheiser's. This one customer was unsatisfied with his purchase on the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X. He describe what he didn't like, such as lack of bass, the sound stage was poorly made and he pointed out that everyone's ears are different, and that this is his opinion. I forgot the video, but it was in YouTube.

BlueFireZ, Is 2.0 an older version of 5.1 & 7.1 or they have nothing in common? Is it worse or better than 5.1 & 7.1? I only think this because as an example, if I see a brand name, with a higher number towards the end, I would assume that it is a newer model of the old one.

Sorry, if I'm annoying you by keep replying. I will eventually end this madness (this is sparta) on talking about headphones XD You have helped me a bunch throughout this conversation, and I really do appreciate your help.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
If you'd like to find out what your ears like, headphonebar in Vancouver is a high end headphone store with friendly and knowledgeable staff. They have headphones you can try from most of the popular audiophile brands including audiotechnica and sennheiser.

As for 2.0 vs 5.1/7.1, it's more so a speaker term with the first number indicating the number of speakers and second indicating the number of subwoofers. While there are gaming headsets with multiple speakers (drivers) in them, they are more of a "because we can" thing, they don't sound good.

I'm at work so will explain more later

BlueFireZ

Estimable
I'm not too sure about the sound stage being poorly made, but yes, all open ear headphones will have a lack of bass. I also like Sennheiser products even though i have a pair of Audio Technica's, personally I edge towards the Sennheiser HD 598 and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro from whats been mentioned so far.

Ask as many questions as you want, we're here to help :)

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Most of the sub $250 open headphones lack bass but there's a few more bass than the 598's like AKG's K612 and K7XX. Above that there's planar magnetic and bassy open backs if you ever upgrade.

SlapThatpAssport

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
Thank you for the solutions, again! I might go to Headphone Bar next week, or possibly when I am free.

Is bass needed for gaming, such as Call of Duty, or Grand Theft Auto?

Is sound stage needed for gaming, for the same game I listed above?

Okay, I'll stop there, and I really appreciate all the help shotgunz and BlueFireZ gave me. You have been a great help, and those are probably my last two questions, as I know you guys are probably annoyed with this thread by now XDD! Take care guys!

BlueFireZ

Estimable
Im happy to help so no problem! You don't really need bass for gaming but its nice to have especially when bombs are exploding etc, and also i'm guessing your gonna listen to some music with them here and there, so bass will be needed. It wouldn't hurt to have a good sound stage either since it helps "locate" things. I'd ask a guy at headphone bar for more information on it, since i'm a bit of noob with sound stages.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Don't worry about it. Some of us enjoy helping others who are in search of a good audio experience.

While there's soundstage width, there's also the depth in front, behind, above and below you. After your visit to headphonebar, you'll understand.

When you're at headphonebar, there's two headphones you 100% have to try. Sennheiser's $1400 HD800 has the widest, deepest behind and one of the deepest infront soundstages of any headphone. It's also exceptionally comfortable and is very detailed.

The funny thing is, i bought one mainly because of the comfort. It doesn't touch my ears and I can sleep with it on and wake up the next day without any discomfort.

One of Audeze's around $1800 LCD-2, LCD3 or LCD-X. These are very smooth sounding planar magnetic headphones with very controlled bass that extends indefinitely all the way down beyond what we can hear. While their soundstage isn't anything special, many people love their smooth sound.

After your visit to headphonebar to learn more, I'll explain why while 5.1/7.1 virtual headphone surround lowers sound quality, why using it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

We'll be eagerly waiting for your findings and experience after you visit headphonebar ;D

Jeff Mongillo

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
The headset you are speaking of is indeed a very decent headphone. As was pointed out, ALL headphones are Stereo in nature, and that dynamic sound (5.1 and 7.1) are artificially forced thru equalizers and harmonics. You can force these yourself, including improving bass, thru software nowadays. An excellent example...Razer products have special sound improvements you can make your headphones (yes, even non-razer products) active with Razer Synapse. AMD has TrueVoice audio software that can do similar things. The driver for your headphones (if you choose USB headphones as opposed to 3.5mm mini-jack) can also enhance the listening experience yet another notch. With Synapse, you CAN create a 7.1 environment and it offers a choice of Dolby and DTS. I'm not quite as familiar with the AMD software, however.

SlapThatpAssport

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
I just made my purchase on the HD 598 on boxing day! Thank you all for the help, without you guys I really couldn't have decided! XD

I'll let you guys know how I feel about the HD 598 when it arrives. Again, thank you all and happy new year!

Stephen_82

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

It's been over a year bud how do you like them headphones?