Hd Camera with Mic input?

ZanyLlama

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014
I am looking to replace my Canon Vixia HF r300 with something a little better. What I am looking for is a camera that can film at least 1080p 60 fps (NOT interlaced). I would also like it to have a hot shoe mount, and the better the still image quality, the better since I may be using this for professional-looking photos. Suggestions?

The lower the price the better. (Preferably under $200 but I know that might be unrealistic.) If I could spend a little over for significantly better quality, that is fine.

Solution
This one - Canon 8GB VIXIA HF R60 Full HD Camcorder - is about to be released and is $399.99. It does shoot full HD at 60 fps (progressive and not interlaced).

The Canon VIXIA HF R600 Full HD Camcorder also records full HD at 60 fps (progressive and not interlaced) and is $299.99.

The Canon 8GB VIXIA HF R50 Full HD Camcorder also records full HD at 60 fps (progressive) and is $249.99

Looking at the specs the image sensor is the same size for the three mentioned above as well as the effective pixels. All have optical and digital image stabilization and 32x optical zoom.

How much more are you willing to spend? Finding one in that price range with a hot shoe and microphone input is going to be difficult at best. Camcorders in that price range may include a microphone jack but very few, if any, have a hot shoe mount. Would you consider a used camcorder or does it have to be new?

I will see if I can find anything. I looked at the replacement for the R300 but the image sensor is the same size and there is no hot shoe or cold shoe mount on the replacement model.

Update: As far as I can tell getting one with both a hot shoe and a microphone input is going to be in the $500+ range. If you can work with a cold shoe mount there are brackets/adapters you can use to get a cold shoe mount. I don't know about other manufacturers but Canon, at least on some models, has a proprietary hot shoe mount. I had to get an adapter to be able to use an external mic on a Canon camcorder.

ZanyLlama

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014

The hot shoe is not 100% necessary; I have a cheap bracket, and can probably get a nicer one if I can get the camera for cheap enough. As long as it does the 1080p 60fps and can take my 3.5mm mic input.

Also, optical zoom and optical image stabilization are always nice to have.

This one - Canon 8GB VIXIA HF R60 Full HD Camcorder - is about to be released and is $399.99. It does shoot full HD at 60 fps (progressive and not interlaced).

The Canon VIXIA HF R600 Full HD Camcorder also records full HD at 60 fps (progressive and not interlaced) and is $299.99.

The Canon 8GB VIXIA HF R50 Full HD Camcorder also records full HD at 60 fps (progressive) and is $249.99

Looking at the specs the image sensor is the same size for the three mentioned above as well as the effective pixels. All have optical and digital image stabilization and 32x optical zoom.

Solution