HD video editing on integrated i7 graphics?

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi I wonder is it really worth me shelling out extra for the dedicated graphics and how would this effect performance?
I am looking at the HP elite book range as they are perfect for my mobile audio recording as they have fire wire and low latency.
I am probably going to put a secondary drive in the DVD bay to get rid of any bottle necking on the hard disk data transfer whilst editing in CS5 Premier.
So solely based on the graphics limitation of the Intel HD 3000 graphics would they be able to handle a large video editing project? I heard video editing is more cpu intensive than graphics in which case I should be ok with the i7 second generation dual core processor...

Hello disease8;

You're probably be OK without a dedicated graphics card. Depending on the software you use it might, or might not, lean on the GPU to assist in editing. You should be able to find out about that from the software forum of your program.

That HD 3000 graphics IGP on the i7s is roughly equal to a dedicated Radeon HD 5450 or Geforce 410M.

3rd Gen Core i CPUs go on sale, probably inside a week with a nice boost in GPU performance.
I wouldn't be surprised if the EliteBook range starts carrying that option right away.

Intel HD Graphics 3000 review
Intel HD Graphics 4000 review

It looks like Nvidia is still the best option for Cuda GPGPU acceleration right now.
There are still some questions about the depth of Intel's support for OpenGL drivers for it's IGP GPUs.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Yo!
If you troll arround the CS5 forums (and keep in mind that CS6 comes out very soon) you will find that GPU support is limited for display purposes. Meaning that GPUs only eat the performance hit of displaying the content on the screen, but not the rendering time.

The obvious exception to this is if you have a CUDA card such as the GTX570, 580, or a quadro card via their Mercury Playback Engine. And even then only specific transitions/filters/effects are accelerated, while most things are not.

Also keep in mind that they changed the CUDA cores and funcionality on the 680, and I have yet to see any rumors confirming that the 680 works fine with MPE, because in all workload benchmarks the 570 kicks the 680's ass... which is just wierd.

Lastly, there is rumor that Adobe is beginning to move towards a gpgpu engline more like OpenCL, which would make the new AMD 7000 cards a great low(er) cost option. But again, this is rumor, and I have no idea of this will come with CS6, or if it will be later down the road.

In short, with Adobe Premiere, you either stick with onboard graphics for display purposes, or you get the biggest card you can afford. But all the cards in the middle will not really make much difference.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
oh, also keep in mind that HD4000 will be out soon with IB based laptops, which is a doubbling (or better) in performance over HD3000.
It will not help with Premiere much, but it will help with Photoshop, Aftereffects, and other programs.

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Hi thank you. These laptops are expensive because they are built from the ground up for audio production giving them a very low latency and enabling me to record many channels without glitches..

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
You can easily do 8+ channel audio recording on the lowest end i3 CPUs.
My Atom Netbook can do 4 channels with no problem. Most 'production' computer companies are simply expensive with no added benefit.

That ADK 7600 IVB model notebook on ADK's site is the same as the Sager NP6175 / Clevo W170ER on the XoticPC website. Identical, and it looks like XoticPC has higher performance options that ADK doesn't offer.
DDR3 1866MHz vs DDR3 1600MHz RAM, for example.

It looks to me that all those Pro Audio hardware options are external to the notebook. Things you could pick up where ever the prices are lowest.

Ok, Only in the $2900 9000X Sandy Bridge E model it looks like. Available Mid-May.

On the XoticPC website - also Available in Mid-May SAGER NP9270/Clevo P270WM Sandy Bridge E notebook - base price $2099.
TI firewire chipset Firewire-800 (TI XIO2221ZAY)

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
only the laptop that isnt available yet and cost $2900 without an OS has firewire 800 that they claim is so amazing. for that price build a desktop with an add in firewire card based on the TI firewire 800 chipset. it will be cheaper, perform better, have more interface options by an order of magnitude, have the ability to have 20+TB of storage with the right configuration and you can add more hard drives, interface cards or monitors as you see fit. those laptops literally offer nothing you cant put together off newegg. you can get the same performance for a fraction of the cost or for the same price get a system that is significantly more functional and future proof. seems like a no brainer to me.

The ADK 9000X is a house-branded Sager NP9270 / Clevo P270WM bare bones chassis.

Here is a complete spec of the Sager NP9270
Of interest to you:
Audio System: Built-in High Definition Sound System
S/PDIF Digital output / 1 Built-in Microphone / 5 Built-in Speakers / 1 Built-in Sub Woofer / THX® TruStudio Pro™ /External 7.1CH audio output supported by headphone, microphone and Line-in jacks

I/O Ports: 1 HDMI 1.4a output Port / 1 DVI-I output Port (single link) / 1 Display Port 1.1 / 2 USB 3.0 Ports / 2 USB 2.0 Ports / 1 eSATA Port (powered USB 3.0 (AC/DC) combo) / 1 IEEE-1394b Fire Wire / 1 RJ-45 LAN (10/100/1000Mbps) / 1 Headphone Jack / 1 Microphone Jack / 1 Line-in Jack / 1 S/PDIF output Jack

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
guys you are all wrong. there are built from the ground up for audio production. They dont have a sub woofer. They are very quiet and cool clevo's are not. They have TI chipset, clevo's do not.

Getting back to the actual subject of the thread!

So what you are saying is it doesn't matter if it has integrated gpu its the processor. In which case nearly ANY computer with a good processor (i5/i7) will be sufficient if it does not have any bottle necking on the hard disk?