HDD in optical drive caddy sometimes not recognized and needs a restart to be recognized

Nov 10, 2018
Hello. I recently purchased an HDD optical drive caddy for my dell laptop (Inspiron 7520 SE)
Decided to upgrade my laptop HDD to an SSD and transfer the initial HDD into the optical drive caddy.

Installed windows 10 on the SSD and then transferred the HDD to the optical drive caddy. After installing windows 10, i noticed that the HDD in the caddy is not recognized. I then looked for solutions on google (ie. tinker with the BIOS). tried it with success. however, on the next boot, the HDD in the caddy was not recognized again. I then restarted and reconfigure the BIOS to its original settings - booted to windows then the HDD in the caddy was now recognized both by windows and BIOS.

after a while i had to shut down. then when I booted, it again did not recognize the HDD. I tried restarting --- which was a success but bothersome. So i returned the caddy and then had it replaced.

I then booted up with the new caddy in place. (I boot to windows using the SSD, not the HDD because I would like to use the HDD for media only). But still, with a brand new caddy, I still get the same problems - ie have to restart so that my HDD will be recognized.

restarting drives me crazy. so please help!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 3
C Laptop General Discussion 3
L Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 2
P Laptop General Discussion 4
C Laptop General Discussion 3
M Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 2