HDD issue in Sony Vaio Laptop, please suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek_9

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
I am using VPCEA12EN sony vaio laptop, the internal hard drive of the laptop seems to have issues in performing. The Hard disc light also becomes stable at some times and the system becomes highly slow that a work / excel file takes minutes to open or close. My current HDD is Seagate Momentus Thin 500GB (Product Code - ST500LT012). My questions are below:
1. Is it time to replace the HDD, as the system also some times becomes blue and crashes down? Moreover, if heard, it makes sound also.
2. Should I change the hard drive with a new SDD internal hard drive as my laptop is not in warranty?
3. Please suggest a reasonably good brand, available in India which delivers good results, as this is going to be my 3rd HDD change in this system. First, it was done under warranty, second it was done by me around 3yrs back and now, I"m facing similar issues.
4. My Laptop also releases more heat by its fan. Is it some way related to HDD or some other issue

Please suggest and help. I shall be highly obliged.

Best Regards,
Vivek Sethi

Solution
Hi Vivek,
This is common problem with the momentus HDD's (They should have just discontinued them.)
It's important not to plug this HDD into another device as it's caused issues with BIOSes freezing. Which is like a death sentence for your computer. I would go with a HGST Drive (Hitachi) as they are extremely reliable.
Hi Vivek,
This is common problem with the momentus HDD's (They should have just discontinued them.)
It's important not to plug this HDD into another device as it's caused issues with BIOSes freezing. Which is like a death sentence for your computer. I would go with a HGST Drive (Hitachi) as they are extremely reliable.

Solution

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Vivek_9,

Your HDD is most probably failing.
Is it accessible? Does your system boot properly?
In case it does, you need to get the data that you need, off the drive. After that, you can test it with some of these tools: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
The results should show you what is wrong with the drive.

SSD are considerably faster than HDDs. Yet, you need to keep in mind that the drive's performance affects boot/loading times the most, not the overall system performance. Also, SSDs fall in a higher price range, compared to HDDs.

I can't really recommend you a specific brand or a model except for a WD one.

Yeah, it is possible that the overheating issue is related to the HDD. Yet, far more probable cause could be amassed dust. You need to clean the dust out of the laptop.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.