Solved! HDD not reconized in Laptop

pooppnjack

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
With Dell Laptop Inspiron 1150, I boot up, DELL scrolls across the screen and it tells me that is missing a file to start windows. I ran test and MY HD has a problem they’re fore a purchased an exact replacement.
With this replacement new HD (I put the adopter for Dell on) the computer will turn on, fan runs but no Dell appears on the screen.
If I take the new HD out, start the computer, Dell again appears on the screen, the computer boots to the point it tells me there is no HD.
How can I get the Dell Laptop Computer to recognize my new hard drive?

Solution
Well....there goes that theory. Even if the HDD isn't formatted properly, you should still see a DELL splash screen, as you normally would. I suspect that your new HDD is defective.

AntiZig

Distinguished
you need to
0. make sure hard drive is installed properly and has data and power cables connected correctly
1. format the hard drive
2. install an OS on it

after all that it done you'll be able to observe a normal boot sequence

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I looked up the specs for that laptop and it says the original HDD size was 30 GB (IDE), is this correct? My assumption is that you are putting a much larger HDD in, such as 320gb, and the motherboard can't recognize one of that size. From what I can gather from researching online, the max hard drive size seems to be 120gb. There is a BIOS update available that may allow a larger hard drive to be installed, but I am unable to find out what it actually updates.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Well....there goes that theory. Even if the HDD isn't formatted properly, you should still see a DELL splash screen, as you normally would. I suspect that your new HDD is defective.

Solution