HDMI 1.4 Includes Ethernet, 2-Way Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That's great but they've got to stop with these small upgrades. The whole point is that it's one cable, so that people stop calling asking which one they need, now we have to make sure they're using the right version.

*Sigh* A geeks job is never done

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]LATTEH[/nom]WTF? i just bought a new HDTV and they make a new HDMI cable this sucks[/citation]
It'll be another year before anyone has any 1.4 stuff out, no worries. Even if it's 1.4 capable, I bet it'll only use one or two of the new features at most.

mrfisthand

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Why not add some phone capibilities in there too, so I can shout at my TV to order pizza. And no one suggest online ordering or VoIP, that would be far too complicated

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mmmm, maybe I'm alone in that position, but I find the Ethernet idea completely stupid. It opens lots of possibilities and conceptually it's cool, but I feel it's just ma marketting rip-off so people will feel their equipment is obsolete and/or sell "convergence" devices at rip-off prices.

Why not just add an RJ-45 jack on TV equipment so you can interface with existing ethernet devices like wireless routers? You could use your iPod/iPhone as a Universal remote ... But now, you will have to buy a new home theater system which will cost probably 150-200$ more just because they bundled a "rewired" 20$ ethernet switch in it. Probably even old overmanufactured routers because now everyone would prefer to go Gigabit. Oh, and my guess is that in 1-2 years, they will either have a new version with Gigabit ethernet...

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Internet on your television, isn't that what a computer is for? Internet on your phone, your laptop, your desktop, your TV, your MP3 player, your PSP, and now your dog! The next HDMI revision, 2.0 will include 8 channels of audio, hi-def video, ethernet, hard drive connectivity, its own virtual memory, an operating system, and power! Just hook up everything via HDMI. Who needs PCI-express, SATA, DVI, audio cables?? >_

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Don't get too worried, it will still be months (probably closer to a year) before 1.4 actually gets off paper, after that it will probably be a few years before they actually make use of the technology.

1080p high definition and bluray is finally starting to catch on with people just these last 2 years, selling an entire series of new super high definition TV's isn't going to be a cake walk when most people still haven't bought into the current tech.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Daller[/nom]Pretty silly calling it 1.4 when it isn't compatible.. they should call it 2.0.[/citation]
Agreed.

I personally am all in favor of condensing cable clutter where possible. Even managing it well still ends up looking like a rats nest on the other side of the reciever. ;)

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I'm still waiting till i can hook up everything on my computer and tv with 1 super plug :( i feel sad for having an hdtv with heavly outdated hdmi yet then again i don't :) what do i need it for 720p works i'm cool i just want new!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
sounds cool. except for the audio return stuff, thats so u can send audio from your tv's tuner to your receiver right? if so, its a band aid solution, tv tuners should just be in the receiver.

if they are going to keep changing the spec, they should make it so we can get replaceable hdmi ports for our tvs/recivers ect, and this equipment should have completely upgradeable software, just so we don't need to buy a whole new tv

JustinHD81

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Sounds like another way to try and make more money....new standard means new devices, means wasted money......at least give the current standard (HDMI 1.3) time to actually saturate in the market, all they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot, as people will just say....oh, there's a new standard coming, I better not buy something today, because tomorrow it'll be outdated. Whilst I'm aware we are talking tech here, and that this is common, at least if say I bought a computer a few years ago it still does everything i need it to and most likely can still find spare parts, because the standards are still supported.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]Mmmm, maybe I'm alone in that position, but I find the Ethernet idea completely stupid. It opens lots of possibilities and conceptually it's cool, but I feel it's just ma marketting rip-off so people will feel their equipment is obsolete and/or sell "convergence" devices at rip-off prices.[/citation]

Agreed. The fact of the matter is, while having multiple cords to various ports maybe a little hassle, it cuts down on price, increases usability and customization. Once you start including everything on a single cable, then you're hostage to the options given to you in a single cord. I don't need a 100 Mbps connection between my TV and my cablebox, so why should I have to pay extra when I just want good sound quality?

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I just want a tv with DLNA support at a GOOD price, then I could get of the PS3 (only my kids play games, I need a PC!)

Also, the Ethernet idea is too little too late, everyone that wants hi def content needs a gigabit network, even a cheap crappy D-Link setup.

And I think I'll stick with all my optical audio cables, lower latency and all. Now they just need to get their heads out of their ass' and make a single optical hookup to carry everything. Use some cheap 1300-1500nm+ fibers between devices and you could get unlimited un-compressed...well....everything! Just need to get cheaper lasers for the devices....

Status
Not open for further replies.