Solved! HDMI Audio Extractor Recommendation

mbw1966

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
Hardware: Onkyo HT R391, Roku 2 and a Epson Projector Presentor (No DVD incl) and a Dish Receiver 722.
Currently running HDMI from Roku directly to the projector, HDMI input and using the projector's speakers for sound.
I believe a HDMI Audio Extractor would enable sound to ported to the AV, then HDMI to projector for video as is being done now.
Probably sooner than later the projector will be replaced for better picture quality.
While the AV is outdated, will let it die, then replace.
Unlikely to add other devices, but better to get a step above what is needed now.
The question is what extractor to get?
Thanks.

Solution
SInce the AVR does have HDMI inputs and outputs why do you need the extractor at all? Just connect the HDMI output of the Dish box and other sources to the AVR. AVR HDMI out to projector.
if there is some reason you can't go through the receiver then plan be would be to connect the Dish box optical audio output directly to the AVR for audio. Connect the HDMI output of the box to the projector
You can get an HDMI input selector with audio extraction so you can connect more than the Dish box to the receiver and projector.
SInce the AVR does have HDMI inputs and outputs why do you need the extractor at all? Just connect the HDMI output of the Dish box and other sources to the AVR. AVR HDMI out to projector.
if there is some reason you can't go through the receiver then plan be would be to connect the Dish box optical audio output directly to the AVR for audio. Connect the HDMI output of the box to the projector
You can get an HDMI input selector with audio extraction so you can connect more than the Dish box to the receiver and projector.

Solution

mbw1966

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
What you suggested has been tried to no avail. Numerous posts at the Onkyo forum as to troubleshooting HDMI issues. Over a year plus period. I run the Dish receiver via RCA component.
That's why the output of the Roku is run directly to the projector. So at least with the HDMI extractor approach, I can get sound via the AVR.

mbw1966

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
Sorry, I should have provided more detail in my original post on my HDMI issues.
I run RCA Video directly from the Dish 722 receiver to the Video input on the AVR, then Video out to the Epson projector Video Input. For audio, I do the Dish Optical Out to the Input of the AVR Optical. So I do get surround sound as far as the Dish sound goes.
Giving thought to upgrading to a new projector and a new receiver with 2 HDMI outs on the receiver side and 2 ins on the projector side.

Ordering an HDMI audio extractor just for the Roku, short term solution. So hopefully I can get surround sound from the receiver as projector speakers are weak.
Thanks for all the comments.