HDMI audio volume issue on Samsung Plasma TV

vogelfish

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
I have a Samsung Plasma TV and Comcast cable service connected via HDMI and all was well.
I recently purchased a powered HDMI splitter to power an aux TV for the treadmill. After connecting, everything appears to work just fine except the volume on the Plasma TV. Previously a comfortable volume setting was 20 and 30 was good to overcome "house noise". Now setting 20 is not as loud and raising the volume upwards of 60 still does not increase the volume sufficiently to overcome the house noise. Any idea what is going on?

I think that the problem is that the 2nd TV will not accept the same type of audio input as the Samsung and when they are both connected the cable box defaults to the type that the aux TV can handle. If you leave the splitter in place and disconnect the Aux TV the audio may revert or can be reset in the cable box audio menu. You will need splitter or matrix switcher that will allow you to set the EDID for each output. I have had the same problem.
http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PET0402A-support-Digital-Optical/dp/B00CQ3NVKU#productDetails

vogelfish

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
That didn't resolve the issue. however when testing it I did see some kind of error message on the TV screen. It doesn't stay up long enough to read but it says something about compatibility. I'm guessing there are different HDMI modes and the splitter doesn't support the one I need? Just a guess... Suppose I need to study the HDMI spec.