HDMI connection to smart TV does not show up as a sound playback device

Restive_Oblivion

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hello everyone, longtime lurker with a problem strange enough to make my own thread (I've looked through the past ones, didn't see anything quite right). I'm trying to connect my TV to my computer so that I can use it for movies and such. HDMI hookup picks up video just fine. However, the system doesn't recognize the HDMI as a possible playback option for sound. So first off, the specs:

CPU: Intel i5-6500 @3.20Ghz, 4 cores
GPU: Zotac Nvidia 1060 6GB
Integrated GPU: Intel R HD 530
Mobo: MSI Z170 PC Mate
Monitor: Samsung SF350 Series 22" Monitor
TV: TCL (55S3750) Roku (5123X) Smart TV

I checked the playback devices and looked at disconnected and disabled devices - there is no icon present for HDMI. So then I checked the device manager options, looking for a connection that might be showing up there. The TV shows up as a display, but there is nothing there for sound options through HDMI. I updated all of the drivers for sound I could find, and then checked the BIOS for options regarding sound (I had to enable video playback through the BIOS, because my integrated GPU was disabled). I couldn't find anything there, so I then reinstalled my BIOS audio HDMI drivers. Nothing. Out of a final act of desperation, I turned everything off and back on, and that also produced no results. Suggestions on how to proceed are welcome, as right now I can't really think of anything to do other than going out and buying a DP-HDMI cable and trying to route it through my 1060. Thanks guys!

Restive_Oblivion

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

No. Since the TV is connected to the motherboard and bypasses the Nvidia GPU entirely, I figured that it wouldn't be the cause of the problem. I'll try reinstalling the Nvidia drivers and swapping the cable I suppose, and report back.

When graphics card installed, theoretically, the motherboard port should be disabled. Not sure what's wrong. Have you connected all required PCIe power cables to the graphics card? Connect the tv to the graphics card, or remove the card, connect the tv to the motherboard, install the Intel graphics driver and test.

Restive_Oblivion

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Cable issue! I feel like a dumbass for not checking that, thank you!

Rannee

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

If you buy a Bluetooth receiver about £13 for the likes of a car but plug it into the TV auxiliary audio input then find it from Bluetooth search on fire tv VOILA... Needs a USB power to the device . Works a dream when HDMI does not pass the sound.
Ron.