HDMI Port Missing from TV

croney5

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
I have the same problem as Anonymous on 1/11. We have an older HDTV with only hook up for the red, green and blue wires and the blu ray only has an hdmi hook up. I purchased a plug that had one end HDMI and the other end the red, green and blue wires but this didn't work. Is this a lost cause? Thanks.

Solution
Is this TV a LCD/Plasma/Thin? Or is it a CRT? If it is a CRT TV, then you should really consider saving for a new TV. If your current TV is a LCD/LED/Plasma without an HDMI port, then an HDMI to component converter would make more sense.

The reason that cable you bought didn't work is because component and HDMI are nothing alike and a converter box with "smart" circuitry and chips is needed. HDMI is digital and data can be streamed in different formats. Component is analog and only has one format:analog video.

Well, here is a cheap made-in-china HDMI-to-component converter box.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=5971&seq=1&format=2

However, I heard that anything that is HDCP copy protected is...
Yes, but a new tv with hdmi on it. It's all anything is going to come with now. Other factors like the HDMI copyright protection sometimes don't allow conversion to compnent cable so the bluray can't be recorded. That convertor would probably work for a PC or manybe a console but the bluray player is going to enforce that copyright protection.

For that price could probably get a new HD TV. I'm in Canada and got a 55" for $399 and a 32" for $160 on black friday, and I know the US prices are way cheaper on TV's than us up here.

XM Keeper

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Is this TV a LCD/Plasma/Thin? Or is it a CRT? If it is a CRT TV, then you should really consider saving for a new TV. If your current TV is a LCD/LED/Plasma without an HDMI port, then an HDMI to component converter would make more sense.

The reason that cable you bought didn't work is because component and HDMI are nothing alike and a converter box with "smart" circuitry and chips is needed. HDMI is digital and data can be streamed in different formats. Component is analog and only has one format:analog video.

Well, here is a cheap made-in-china HDMI-to-component converter box.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=5971&seq=1&format=2

However, I heard that anything that is HDCP copy protected is forced to be output to 480i instead 720p, 1080i, etc.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS