HDMI port not working?

SpoodyFox

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Hi, I have an asus laptop model GL502VM running the latest version of windows 10 and latest graphics drivers for a gtx 1060. My laptop will no longer output display to my second monitor. I have tried reinstalling graphic drivers and I tested the monitor on a friend's laptop and it worked fine.

I have also tried pressing windows+p and the fn+f8 for displays and clicked duplicate, no luck. This problem started the day after my laptop forced me into a windows update. Could that be a problem?

Thanks for the time.

Solution
Restore
- Will not delete any of your personal files (unless you have them saved in a program folder - under the program files directory. Usually you would have these in My Documents, or My Photos.
- It will remove any programs installed since the restore date.
- Any system settings will be reverted back to the restore date. This includes Drivers, Scripts, Etc.

Reset (With personal files kept)
- Removes ALL programs that weren't on laptop when you originally purchased it. This includes Microsoft Office, Steam (and all games), iTunes, etc.
- Will not remove your personal files (Unless you saved them in a program folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote - which again most people do not) I do recommend backing up your files...

googlyeyedchicken

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Try running a system restore to a date before this past update. Occasionally Windows updates will cause issues like this and it is best to hold off on updates until you hear of a fix or there have been a few rounds of updates since the bad one.

SpoodyFox

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

A couple questions, will this undo any programs I have installed? The same question goes for files created/modified.
And does my pc automatically create a restore point before an update? Because I cannot find one

googlyeyedchicken

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Restore
- Will not delete any of your personal files (unless you have them saved in a program folder - under the program files directory. Usually you would have these in My Documents, or My Photos.
- It will remove any programs installed since the restore date.
- Any system settings will be reverted back to the restore date. This includes Drivers, Scripts, Etc.

Reset (With personal files kept)
- Removes ALL programs that weren't on laptop when you originally purchased it. This includes Microsoft Office, Steam (and all games), iTunes, etc.
- Will not remove your personal files (Unless you saved them in a program folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote - which again most people do not) I do recommend backing up your files thought just as a precaution.

You said you do not have a restore point. So I would recommend one of two things...

Option 1: Uninstall the Windows Update that screwed everything up[
- Boot into Safe Mode by holding SHIFT and clicking Restart
- Go to Troubleshoot >> Advanced Options >> Windows Startup Settings >> Click Restart >> Choose Safe Mode from list.
Once you are in Windows...

-Open the Start menu >> Search for View Installed Updates and hit Enter to open Control Panel on the Install Updates section.

-Select the problematic update from the list (it should show by date installed) and then click Uninstall.

Option 2: Reset (Keep Personal Files Option)
- This removes all programs and updates while keeping your personal files.
- - Go to Troubleshoot >> Reset this PC >> Choose Keep My Files option >> Click Next >> It may take an hour to complete.

Solution

SpoodyFox

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
So option one says to find my update history, but anytime I try to open updates in settings or through the search bar it crashes settings. And that is only the case with updates all other settings work fine