HDMI ports & lightening

jbud

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Just had two TV's stop working which I attribute to near bye lightening. My Vizio TV said "no input" until I switched the HDMI plug to the other (hdmi2) port. My other Westinghouse TV won't even turn on, I assume because it was also plugged in to a coax cable. Both cable box/DVR's still work. Anybody seen this? How could it blow out my HDMI port but not effect cable box? Can HDMI ports be repaired at a reasonable cost? Any ideas on how to avoid this in the future? I'm in Florida so we see a lot of lightening.
Thanks!

With the Visio tv have you tried another cabLe and input to see if the port is dead dead. If it is dead look at spare parts or repair guild. If your lucky the hdmi ports are on a daughter card. One that cheap and easy to replace.if not then the aims in logic board would need to be replaced. On the other monitor/tv check to see if the main fuse popped and saved that tv. If not time to check your whole house for dead parts and make a homeowners claim to your insurance company. For your home they have whole house serge suppressors and ones for phone and cables lines. If a zap hits your cable line it takes the hit not your tv.

jbud

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks. The HDMI2 port is still working on the Vizio so at least it is functional. The Westinghouse set is totally dead an won't turn on. Is the main fuse easy to find on LCD TV's? Do you get the fuses from the manufacturer or are they off the shelf parts?

TRENDING THREADS