Hdmi switcher problem

davibar

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I have an hd ready tv (toshiba) with 2 hdmi sockets. I have bought an hdmi switcher with 5 inputs and one output.
I need to connect my tv to :-
A) a sky plus box (hd)
B) a sony dvd player
C) a panasonic soundbar
I have tried many combinations, but can not get the soundbar/sky/tv to work together.
What do I need to connect to the 2 hdmi sockets on the tv, what to the output on the switcher, and what to the various inputs on the switcher for everything to work properly.
I have 5 hdmi leads available for use.
I do not have much technical knowledge, and at my age (over 75) am fed up of crawling round at the back of the tv, trying different combinations. Please help to save my aching knees by offering a straightforward solution, if you can. Thanks.

Solution
If your sound bar has HDMI in and out then you would connect the sky box and BD player to the switcher inputs, connect the switcher output to the soundbar and the soundbar HDMI out to one of the TV HDMI inputs.
If your TV and soundbar both have ARC (audio return channel) then you would connect the box and BD to the switcher inputs, switcher output to TV HDMI input (not marked as ARC). Connect the soundbar to the TV HDMI input labeled as ARC. You will also need to activate the ARC in the TV and maybe soundbar menus.

Xyos

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Some TV's have trouble communicating with that much HDMI devices even when switched (called "handshaking"). It could be a limitation of the television, or a faulty hdmi switcher or faulty hdmi cables. Most likely its the TV.

If your sound bar has HDMI in and out then you would connect the sky box and BD player to the switcher inputs, connect the switcher output to the soundbar and the soundbar HDMI out to one of the TV HDMI inputs.
If your TV and soundbar both have ARC (audio return channel) then you would connect the box and BD to the switcher inputs, switcher output to TV HDMI input (not marked as ARC). Connect the soundbar to the TV HDMI input labeled as ARC. You will also need to activate the ARC in the TV and maybe soundbar menus.

Solution