hdmi to optical audio

jacketts

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015
Hi, I have a bauhn tv that I want to connect to a polk soundbar (which only has optical input & a 3.5mm aux input). The tv only has qty 3 hdmi ports, one of which is hdmi arc. I think I need a means to convert hdmi to optical to allow me to play tv thru soundbar. Is this correct ?

try the soundbar from another 3.5mm input source (your phone, mp3 player, etc). since they are just speakers you should be able to tell if they are working fine. if they are working fine...then you have choices (below). if they are not working fine then perhaps optical only.

they make hdmi audio extractors with arc support. some have rca L/R outputs some have optical, some have coax. pick what you need. some even have both optical and rca which means you can try both (which makes it a nice choice for testing). i've never used this model but http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Support-Converter-VHD-H2HARC/dp/B00LKF6CPG is an example of what i mean. keep in mind that on that particular model ARC seems to only be available for optical out (not rca out). have a look around at the other options as well. just search amazon for hdmi audio extractor.

is the soundbar surround or stereo? if its stereo only just use 3.5mm to 3.5mm and save yourself $30-60. if it is a surround sound soundbar perhaps a 5.1 hdmi audio extractor with an optical out and hdmi arc support.

jacketts

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015

jacketts

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015
Thanks for rapid response, Im pretty sure its just stereo - cant find any mention of surround. Its a polk Magnifi. I did try the 3.5mm to 3.5mm from tv headphone jack to the aux input on sound bar. This did achieve desired outcome in relation to getting to picture sound to soundbar but picture quality deterioated (multi colour flashes across the screen, strange poping sounds, and after a while the sound bar power just dropped off (indicating some sort of overload ???). Hence I think the need for some sort of optical to hdmi connection ???

try the soundbar from another 3.5mm input source (your phone, mp3 player, etc). since they are just speakers you should be able to tell if they are working fine. if they are working fine...then you have choices (below). if they are not working fine then perhaps optical only.

they make hdmi audio extractors with arc support. some have rca L/R outputs some have optical, some have coax. pick what you need. some even have both optical and rca which means you can try both (which makes it a nice choice for testing). i've never used this model but http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Support-Converter-VHD-H2HARC/dp/B00LKF6CPG is an example of what i mean. keep in mind that on that particular model ARC seems to only be available for optical out (not rca out). have a look around at the other options as well. just search amazon for hdmi audio extractor.

jacketts

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015

jacketts

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015
Thanks again for quick response, yep audio from new sound bar is fine when using other source,

the probs of crappy picture & sound bar dropping out seems to occur only with connection using the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable - not sure why that is , but it is what it is.

So sounds like your suggested extractor/adaptor will be the go

Just so I understand, I assume the suggested box retains the digital signal all the way thru, thus overcoming the need to go from optical to rca anaoluge, then back from analogue to hdmi, which is what one of the local electronic outlets was trying to explain I would need to do.

Any, thanks again for you response, all makes sense, will let you know outcome when I get the box.

Great forum site, thanks, jacketts

why does it give you bad picture? no idea though i've never heard of bauhn, perhaps its a low end brand. something is defective on the tv would be my guess.

provided you are using hdmi->optical yes, it would stay digital. the boxes do have a digital analog converter inside them for going from hdmi->rca though if you used that method. honestly whether or you you stayed digital or used the rca (or rca->3.5mm) analog doesnt much matter and quality of audio will be pretty much the same in this case.

given that you want audio out from the tv, triple check that both your tv and any box you purchase will support ARC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
smartprado Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
alphacoyle Streaming Video & TVs 3
ddk0014 Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 0
F Streaming Video & TVs 3
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 1