hdmi with no arc cant watch tv

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
So the title may be a little missleading but my problem is that i have a htib and i have a 39" philips smart tv that supported arc. but my new 50" full hd plasma tv does not support it so when i swich over to normal cable tv i cant get the sound thrue my 5.1 speakers.

So would i need to connect optical cable for this? i have one but have not connected it yet since my tv is wall mounted and really hard to connect stuff too

Solution
I think you are stuck to get right behind that TV to get a cable then. No other way to get audio out of it.

Check the HTIB for optical in and if it has it, that will be your best option for tv's that do not have audio return over hdmi

nukemaster

Distinguished
You may be able to get optical from the cable tv box instead if the htib has optical in. You will have to switch inputs on the htib however when you switch to this source.

Analog(Red + White stereo only cable in most cases) may be an option as well. You would loose surround sound however. Very few devices outside of computers still have multi channel audio via analog.

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

i have no cable tv box its built in the tv so i just put the tv cable to the tv and i can watch tv i have no extra box for htat

nukemaster

Distinguished
I think you are stuck to get right behind that TV to get a cable then. No other way to get audio out of it.

Check the HTIB for optical in and if it has it, that will be your best option for tv's that do not have audio return over hdmi

Solution