HDTV Changes brightness Automatically !

G

Hello Tom's Hardware. I'm having an issue where i'm not sure if its the display or the Graphics Card. My wife's Computer Has a GTX469 SLI setup. There seems to be an issue where shortly after start up the screen brightness seems to change, as in the picture seems to wash out. She uses a 42 inch Samsung Smart TV. I Disabled the ECO light detection sensor thinking that was the issue but the same thing happens. I Hooked it up to my Computer and the issue doesn't happen. If you turn the TV off then back on the screen will revert back to the original brightness. This leads me to think its the Screen but Not being able to replicate it on a different computer confuses me. Its connected with an HDMI to MIni HDMI adapter to the HDMI/DVI on the TV with the PC Source enabled. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

PS I think I put this in the wrong Place.(Graphics & Displays) if a Mod Could delete this thread for me.

Solution
having the monitor change brightness shortly after windows starts is a normal occurance.

when the system first starts up it uses default settings but when it loads into windows your graphics card software takes over and changes to what settings you have selected (ie in nvidia control panel).

edit: long live daft punk. love the avatar.
having the monitor change brightness shortly after windows starts is a normal occurance.

when the system first starts up it uses default settings but when it loads into windows your graphics card software takes over and changes to what settings you have selected (ie in nvidia control panel).

edit: long live daft punk. love the avatar.

Solution
G

Thanks for you response! The Mind boggling part is that it doesnt always happen, and if you switch the TV off and On again its back to the same brightness settings without the "washed out Picture". I might contact samsung and see what they say. It is still under warranty if I need to send it back. Never had it do that with an AMD Card.

Thanks For the avatar compliment took me forever to find one small enough!
Alive 2007 FTW!!!!!

well.. just letting you know that changing brightness and color issues can be caused the by switchover to gpu software. this could be relevant or not relevant to the issue.

its a completely diferent matter entirely when the backlight varies based on if there is a dark or light background. some monitors (and televisions in particular) have. also monitor display modes are a different matter entirely.

what i find strange is that the monitor resets in color and brightness when you turn it off and on. the gpu settings change the actual output from the pc not the monitor settings so it shouldnt be affected by turning it off and on.

what i would try doing is setting your gpu settings to default (or try running without the gpu drivers entirely) to see if they are indeed the origin of the problem. if both the test on defaults and also without the drivers (by uninstalling them temporarily then restarting) produce the same sort of funky behavior then its likely not your pc but the monitor. if it goes away then its likely something to do with your settings. in which case perhaps when you turn it off and on it resets to defaults (in gpu settings) somehow... no clue.

give it a few tests and see if thats the case.