Headphone/extension cord issue

Spartan075

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Currently I have a problem with my headphones(I think). Right now I have two identical sets of headphones, and two identical sets of headphone cable extension cords, 4 feet to compensate for the jack being in the back and the headphone cable being short.

Right now, after some experimenting, this is how it's panned out:

Using Extension cord 1: Headset 1 gives sound only to the left ear, occasionally no sound at all. Headset 2 gives sound only to the right ear.

Using Extension cord 2: Headset 1 gives sound only to the left ear, Headset 2 gives sound to both ears.

I've yet to be able to pin anything down, but I'm perplexed as to what the problem could be. Also, direct connections with Headset 1 gives sound only in the left ear, direct with Headset 2 gives sound to both.I'm just absolutely confused as to what is wrong with things, anyone have an idea? :??:

Solution
Sounds like headset 1 is faulty on the right ear. Headset 2 works fine. Bin extension cord 1 and use cord 2 with headset 2. Possible loose wire in right ear of headset 1. Open it up and look. If so re solder and it should work. If not it could be a break in the cable going to the headset.

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Sounds like headset 1 is faulty on the right ear. Headset 2 works fine. Bin extension cord 1 and use cord 2 with headset 2. Possible loose wire in right ear of headset 1. Open it up and look. If so re solder and it should work. If not it could be a break in the cable going to the headset.

Solution

Spartan075

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Will do, doing a lot of wiggling with the cord near the extension one usually results in me either getting no sound with Headset 1 and cord 1, or getting the left ear, so I could never quite decide if it was one or the other. I may open up the Headset cable later to see if there's a breakage there. until then, using both cord 2 and headset 2 gives proper sound, so I'll see what I can do about fixing things later, thanks!