headphone plug worn

nipplethewhale

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
i recently bought my audiotechnicas ath m50s and im worried that the plug will get worn out from repeatedly pulled out from the headphone jack on the bass boost control box. all my speakers are connected to the bass boost control box. if i plug my headphones in, the sound gets transfered to the headphones. sometimes i want to use the speakers so i cant keep the headphones plugged in all the time. i could plug the headphone into my pc and leave it there, but the bass is not loud enough. i thought of buying an extender and keep my audiotechnicas plugged in 24/7 and unplug the bass boost side if needed. my question is, will buying a extender lower the quality? is there something else i could buy to extend the life of my headphone plug?
the speaker/bass box.
http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-2000-Subwoofer-Sattelite/dp/B00K5NYNWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425955875&sr=8-3&keywords=gx+gaming+speaker
audiotechnica
http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-2000-Subwoofer-Sattelite/dp/B00K5NYNWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425955875&sr=8-3&keywords=gx+gaming+speaker

Solution
i have never heard of a male 3.5mm connector wearing out even on cheaper headphones other than someone doing something foolish like hitting the plug hard at a 90 degree angle while it is inserted and snapping the tip off. typically what goes is the female connector since this is more prone to damage since it has small springs, pins and parts which can get damaged. i can tell you that after owning the m50s for 4-5 years and unplugging it daily that i've had no issues. my guess would be i've unplugged/replugged it at least 3000-4000 times so far.

the only time i would worry about the tip is if you think you're going to accidentally do something foolish and go hitting the plug sideways while it is connected (and since the device its...
the ath-m50s has one of the sturdiest cable and plug designs on the market. the cable is very thick and will not break unless you seriously abuse it. the ends are rather heavy metal construction with a metal spring anti-kink and screw on/off 1/4 adapter. very solid and well built.

i personally own a pair of m50s and have for 4-5 years. they were a daily driver at work and were plugged in and out every single day, removed many times per day and played for long hours. other than some pad wear which is normal for heavy use, they look practically brand new. you will not find many headphones built this tough and i seriously doubt you will be able to wear out the plug. if anything you will wear out the female connector on your pc or speaker control box before hurting the cable.

i have never heard of a male 3.5mm connector wearing out even on cheaper headphones other than someone doing something foolish like hitting the plug hard at a 90 degree angle while it is inserted and snapping the tip off. typically what goes is the female connector since this is more prone to damage since it has small springs, pins and parts which can get damaged. i can tell you that after owning the m50s for 4-5 years and unplugging it daily that i've had no issues. my guess would be i've unplugged/replugged it at least 3000-4000 times so far.

the only time i would worry about the tip is if you think you're going to accidentally do something foolish and go hitting the plug sideways while it is connected (and since the device its hooked on is light it probably would still be find in this case).

provided the cable you use is fairly decent quality, no, you will not get any noticible quality loss. you would only need a short cable anyways if you did use one so costs should be pretty low even for quality cables.

Solution