Headphones/Headset for gaming?

whipit83

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Hello, for the longest time I've gamed using a headset. I've had the logitech g930 for about 1 1/2 years and it's starting to get old and I am just in the mood for a new one. I bought the astro a40s with the mixamp and too be honest, they aren't worth it. Mic quality isn't the best, and it lacks good music quality. So my question to you guys is should I get another headset such as the logitech g35 or razer kraken 7.1, or perhaps go with a pair of headphones w/ a clip on mic like the Zalman zm-1. I also am wondering if a soundcard is completely needed for the second option and would adding a volume control adapter do anything to quality? I do enjoy having the small controls like a mic mute button on or near the headset/mic and volume control.

Keep in mind this is for mostly gaming but I do listen to a lot of music. Also not looking to spend more than $150 or so. Thanks in advance.

Solution
For your price range, headphones and a clip on mic are best. There are some really good sound quality headsets for around $300, but that's nearly double your budget. I'd take a look at Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. A sound card like a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx would improve the quality a bit. This combination would be much better than any headset under $200.

If you do decide to go for a headset, just for cost or ease of use, avoid Razer. Their build and sound quality are not great, and you're mostly paying for the Razer logo. Logitech are pretty good, but I would take a look at the Corsair Vengeance headsets, either the 1500 V2 or 2100. They have some of the best build and sound quality, they're incredibly comfortable, and the only...

ewok93

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
For your price range, headphones and a clip on mic are best. There are some really good sound quality headsets for around $300, but that's nearly double your budget. I'd take a look at Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. A sound card like a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx would improve the quality a bit. This combination would be much better than any headset under $200.

If you do decide to go for a headset, just for cost or ease of use, avoid Razer. Their build and sound quality are not great, and you're mostly paying for the Razer logo. Logitech are pretty good, but I would take a look at the Corsair Vengeance headsets, either the 1500 V2 or 2100. They have some of the best build and sound quality, they're incredibly comfortable, and the only difference between the two is that the 1500 V2 is wired and the 2100 is wireless.

Solution