Headphones losing their right ears for some odd reason

Jun 1, 2018
To begin with I'm mostly as careful as I can be with the things, no drastic pulling or throwing around.
Some weeks ago I always used my Shure headphones as my main on my LG TV, using its headphone input.
Now I'm not exactly sure if it's the TV, but the incidents occur after usage with the TV.
One day the Shure phones lost their contact with the right ear, I tried many devices and the issue remained. I put them aside in the end giving up any hope of reviving them and ordered a pair from Sennheiser instead.
A week new I've been using them with the TV, yesternight I had both ears intact as supposed, now when using them with an iMac the right ear is defunct on those as well. I tried connecting them into my phone, still only the left ear working.
I'm certain something is killing my headphones, and the last thing I used them with was indeed the LG TV.
I tend to leave the headphones connected to the TV during sleep, but I also always turn off the electricity switch so there shouldn't be any power available.

I am definitely going to leave the cable disconnected during sleep here on after, but what should I do with the headphones? Send them back for repair? Is this only temporary or perhaps a simple fix, maybe for both headphones? What is even happening at all, I'm so frustrated at the moment. :kaola: :/

Solution
The first thing that comes to mind is the TV is somehow outputting a voltage that's destroying the headphones. The only thing I can imagine killing them is a high voltage.

One thing you could do to prevent this (if this is indeed happening) is to put a 5 volt bidirectional TVS (transient voltage suppressor) across the leads when it's hooked to the TV.

I know you shouldn't HAVE to do this....but if that's what's happening....you have to do this.
The first thing that comes to mind is the TV is somehow outputting a voltage that's destroying the headphones. The only thing I can imagine killing them is a high voltage.

One thing you could do to prevent this (if this is indeed happening) is to put a 5 volt bidirectional TVS (transient voltage suppressor) across the leads when it's hooked to the TV.

I know you shouldn't HAVE to do this....but if that's what's happening....you have to do this.

Solution