Solved! Headphones started having a buzzing noise after windows update

Oct 7, 2018
I can't remember if it was the day after a windows update but when I came home from work and turned on my PC there was no sound from headsets and my mic's level was set to 0, I reset my computer hoping to fix it, which it did but now it's got buzzing static noise coming from it no matter what I do. Turning off the sound on the computer still has it buzzing and it continues to buzz until the very moment my computer shuts off and starts when my computer starts. I can lower it's effect by lowering my headphones manual switch but it's still present, I've tried multiple headset and all have it. Clicking my mouse seems to have a small effect on the buzzing as well as what program is currently running.

The front jack doesn't seem to have the issue (at least as loud) but the front microphone jack is messed up for some reason or another.

My MB is Asrock Z390 Taichi
and my audio driver is Realtek

Any help would be much appreciated

Solution
If the problem is a USB ground loop/noise, the easiest way to solve it is with a powered hub. That would isolate the audio device to its own USB circuit, and reduce potential for ground conflict. If you continue to have noise no matter what USB arrangement you use, I would then start to troubleshoot software, focusing on audio drivers and USB drivers.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Have you plugged anything else into USB recently? It sounds like a USB ground problem to me. I would try to unplug everything but the headphones, and see if that resolves it. If not, and the only thing changed is a Windows update, maybe try rolling back the update and reinstalling Realtek drivers.

Oct 7, 2018

Still having the issue, not nearly as bad for some reason. If it is Usb issue how would I go about fixing that? I haven't moved anything around with usb but it would surprise me if my cats knocked them around
I did when I started having the issue move them around to the advice of other fourms but no dice

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
If the problem is a USB ground loop/noise, the easiest way to solve it is with a powered hub. That would isolate the audio device to its own USB circuit, and reduce potential for ground conflict. If you continue to have noise no matter what USB arrangement you use, I would then start to troubleshoot software, focusing on audio drivers and USB drivers.

Solution