Headset better than Beats Studio for $100 or less?

CAaronD

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
So, I've just convinced my father out of buying a Beats. And I will have to find another headset for him now. I doubt that Beats was even original in the first place. Do you know of a headset that would have better sound quality for around $100 or less? Is $100 for a Beats Studio (old version) which is brand new safe?

Any recommendations?

Woot97

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

Not too bad bad I would still highly recommend the HD429's, if I were you that would be my option.

CAaronD

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
Although I hear Sennheiser is very good, my mother had a bad experience with them 10 years ago. Yes 10 years ago and she still thinks they are bad, lol. What should I tell her? Has the quality of Sennheiser improved over the last 10 years?

I will definitely try out Sennheiser!

Woot97

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

Haha 10 years ago! I'm sure it was the shippings fault, make sure you buy from good websites! the quality of Sennheiser has always been a cut above the rest, I'm not sure what you should tell her maybe convice her that it was just bad shipping :p

CAaronD

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
Alright. So there's an option of the Sennheiser HD 518, HD 449, Kingston HyperX Cloud, or the Corsair 1400. The first two are headphones. But if the sound quality of the first two are much better than the headsets then I would sacrifice the Mic for the sound quality.

A_Goat

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
At $99 exactly, the brookstone soundshield headphones are INCREDIBLE.
Extremely comfortable and offer active noise cancellation and an "amp"
Crisp and clear sound, they never crackle or fade out.

The headphones offer better sound quality than the beats studio without the batteries installed, but if you throw in a pair of AAA batts you get even better sound quality with the "amp" turned on. Gives me thick heavy bass for gaming and my dubstep! And with the active noise cancellation turned on, its like turning off the sound from outside the headphones. A complete lifesaver for plane rides.
I just bought a second pair for my girlfriend for giftmas (so she stops using mine, hah!)

http://www.amazon.com/SoundShield-Noise-Cancelling-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00GHQMZ7W/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1419261030&sr=8-10&keywords=brookstone+sound+shield

Before I found the soundshields, I was using the Auvio Elite headphones. They also have sound equal and or better than the studio beats, but they are only $70! Was a complete steal for the price, but i quickly found after long periods of wearing them (I have a big head) my ears would start to hurt because of how tight they were. My GF didn't have a problem though (she's got a small head :p)

http://www.amazon.com/AUVIO-Auvio-Elite-Series-Headphones/dp/B00DF90MAQ

CAaronD

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
Alright. So I've settled for either the HD 449, Kingston HyperX Cloud, or the Corsair Vengeance 1400. Do the two headsets I mentioned have better sound quality than the Beats Studio? (Non pro)

A_Goat

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
The hyperX and Vengeance 1400 aren't even in the same league, they are completely separate things.
Both of the gaming headsets will have stale sound compared to the HD449s.

HD400 series, ATH-M50, and the soundshields I posted are the best/most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Girevik

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015
Sorry to revive an old thread. How are the Sennheiser HD429's as far as blocking noise. I love everything I've heard about Sennheiser, but the models I've seen with active noise cancellation are pricey and I too am looking to keep it around $100.