Solved! Headset broken? Mic quiet + static

Nov 1, 2018
So I've had my pair of Turtle Beach X12 headphones for at least two or three years now, and its worked great. Both audio and the built in mic. But out of nowhere yesterday, I was in a video call and my friends said they could BARELY hear me. I noticed then how I couldn't hear much feedback either whenever I spoke in my mic (it usually makes some weird white noise when its on and stuff when I talk into it, and is dead quiet when muted) and it sounded like it was muted-- but it wasn't. I spent hours looking on forums and messing with both the headsets plugins, Realtek audio, and even Windows microphone set up and sound. Nothing has worked. And to make matters worse my headphones started making a quiet static noise after I tried to tamper with it on Realtek. That won't go away either now, and my friend said later that night all they could hear was loud static from my end after that. Please, how do I fix this? :( I'm on a Windows 10 PC.

Solution
Does the following link show your headphones?

https://support.turtlebeach.com/hc/en-us/articles/219473587-X12-User-Guide-Quick-Start-Guide

Try another set of headphones on your computer.

Try your Turtle Beach X12's on another computer.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the headphones.

In either set up, gently test, pull and bend the cables while listening and speaking to determine if there is a possible broken wire or faulty plug.

Could also be some fault in the accessory cables. Be sure to test them as well.
Does the following link show your headphones?

https://support.turtlebeach.com/hc/en-us/articles/219473587-X12-User-Guide-Quick-Start-Guide

Try another set of headphones on your computer.

Try your Turtle Beach X12's on another computer.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the headphones.

In either set up, gently test, pull and bend the cables while listening and speaking to determine if there is a possible broken wire or faulty plug.

Could also be some fault in the accessory cables. Be sure to test them as well.

Solution