Question Headset jack won't work after using USB microphone for podcasting (MUST restart)

Jan 27, 2021
I have a Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop.

I use the headphone jack daily as I do virtual coaching in my business and need the privacy with my clients.

The problem started this past week when I also started a new podcast. I use a USB microphone to record my episodes. Since I started the podcast, I've noticed that after a recording session, my headphone jack doesn't work. The only way I can get it to work is by restarting my computer, which is really inconvenient as I always have multiple tabs on my browser and I'm usually multi-tasking with multiple programs open as well. Restarting the laptop has fixed it every time, so I'm wondering if there's something I can do to "restart" the headphone jack without restarting the whole laptop?

I have tried going to Sound Settings, but what's interesting is that when the headphone jack has failed, the "Input" section of the Sound Settings isn't there. Meaning, in Sound Settings, there is ONLY "Output." I just looked there now, and all options are visible... Output... Input... and the headphone jack is visible as well.

This is so weird!!! Any ideas?

Thank you all!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BlaM666 Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 0
Mantill Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 3
OldGilgy Laptop Tech Support 5
foxymop Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 8
mathiasjrg Laptop Tech Support 1