Headset suddenly not producing any sound when it was working perfectly fine and the computer still identifies it.

D-Man777

Estimable
Jul 14, 2014
Hey guys, problem is basically the one in the title.

I followed a guide in a youtube video about a month ago where you go to your playback devices menu; make the speakers the default device; go onto the "Stereo mix" properties on the "recording" tab; go to listen; change "playback through this device" to my headset and check the box above that says "listen to this device".

Under the sound tab there were now two speakers to change volume with; my actual speakers, and my headset.

This worked perfectly and for a month and few days I have been able to have sound coming from both the headset and the speakers with no issue until today (the two speaker options in sound has disappeared too).

Today I turned on my computer and noticed there was absolutely no sound (from the headset). Not playing games, not watching videos or anything. The only time the headset will produce sound is when I press "test" in the settings or when I change the volume slider on the headset itself. The only other time it will produce sound is if I make it the default device but then sound will stop on my speakers, defeating the purpose.

I am baffled as to what has happened as there have been literally no settings changed whatsoever. If anybody has any suggestions or anything I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, to no avail.

D-Man777

Estimable
Jul 14, 2014

That's one of the things that's different. There is now only one slider option when I open the volume and on the mixer nothing is muted. When I test each speaker they both produce sound it's just that for some reason it does not want to make sound in both at the same time anymore even though no settings have been changed.