Headset with good mic or separated mic for gaming/stream

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
hello, im working in a stream/gaming setup 7.1 and all the things, so im wondering if i should a headset with good incorporated mic like Sennheiser GAME ONE that will cost me 180$ or a good headset and separated mic like Logitech G930 + Blue Yeti Microphone that will cost me around 170$, what u guys think?

thanks.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
If you are a dedicated stream I would suggest getting good headphones with a separate mic. Usually it doesn't matter how good the mic of the headset is, it always falls short compared to a standalone microphone. If you have space and the extra mic in front of you won't bother you, then I'd suggest the second option.

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

a good headphones like which one? i really think mic from headset are more comfortable than a separated mic but if its the only option then i will take it but now im trying to read about the new Logitech G933 and G633, i dont know much about audio devices, for example just yesterday i got to know this Sennheiser and now im reading about HyperX, some ppl say that virtual 7.1 (like G930) are not good, its better some stereo headsets but since i will make stream of FPS games 7.1 should be the option to go with right? any specific headsets model that u guys could recommend me are welcome ^^

1) Avoid "7.1" headsets, only people that don't understand how ears work actually want them
2) ATH-AD500X+AT-2020USB+ will be about $180 and provide excellent audio
3) You can also go with Blue Snowball+HD518 if you want a cheaper option

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

2) its like 40-50$ higher than that hehe
3) why u recommend snowball and not recommend yeti instead? i have read many complains about the snowball.

the ATH-AD500X + Blue Yeti looks like a good combination and in a good price range, u think AT-2020USB+ is really worth the price? and what about the HyperX Cloud II? those that i have mentioned so far are pretty popular brands or they are just advertising crap?

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
i want to know if its true that USB mics are bad and all that stuff and another thing is i read this in a reddit post about "at2020, atr2500 or blue yeti":

All the mics you've listed are condenser mics which means they will pick up your next door neighbour sneezing. Now imagine what they will pick up in your room unless you start adding sound padding and stick your keyboard/joypad in a different postcode :D
I have the Blue Yeti, it's a seriously nice bit of kit. But it's a poor choice for Lets Plays unless you bend over backwards to soundproof your environment, whack the gain down low and spend time post processing.
Get a dynamic mic like the ATR2100. You'll get comparable (if not better) sound quality without the need to post process everything you record for half the price of the Yeti. The caveat here is that dynamic mics need to be closer to your mouth to pick up the sound so if that's an issue stick with a condenser and be prepared to soundproof, position and edit.

what u think about it?

Not sure where you read that... All the mics listed are carteroid, i.e. "noise reducing" mics that have unidirectional pickup. As long as you set them up properly and you don't have a band playing next door it should be fine. After all, the issue is how loud you are compared to everything else the mic picks up, not how it works. Check youtuber channels, practically everyone uses them.