Heat of my processor is 87 C

ilikesoldat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
basically the title... im using an n570 in an x101h eeepc 2gb ram 320gig hdd brand new and PRACTICALLY idle im getting 87 c when laptop is on a surface. when in the air still 60 something. should i get a cooling pad? will it make THAT much of a significant difference? literally all i did to hit 87 was play jazz jackrabbit 2. which takes up about as much usage (or less) as watching youtube

Coltcts

Honorable
May 15, 2012
The easiest way i know to tell you is just to look up your laptop model and see if you can find out what the heat thresholds of your model is. I say model because you should see what that form factor/ company designs laptop normally runs at. Laptop parts are normally designed to run hotter. As for the cooling pad its a good idea to keep a laptop on a cooling pad simply because lots of laptops only have one fan to begin with. hope this helps.

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Yes laptops are generally designed to run a bit hot, but 87 C is still pretty warm. You may want to take off the backplate and see if you can clean out the fan/vents/heatsink with some canned air. I did this for my girlfriends POS dell when it started to overheat and a ton of dust and fuzz came out. No more overheating.

If that doesn't work, a cooling pad might be your best option although they can get a bit annoying to use.

rwayne

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
You may want to try this product by cooler master.

The following video is impressive.

In order to test the CM Storm SF-19 Notebook Cooler they ran 8 instances of Prime 95 and a session of Furmark.

With out the cooler their gaming laptop ran at 83 c degrees

With the CM Storm SF-19 Notebook Cooler on the same test the laptop ran at 67c degrees.

The test results occur at 2 minutes, 13 seconds into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xv8lr0rUzk&list=PLE2F4BBD256D0712F&index=11&feature=plpp_video