Heat-Sensing Helmet: Too Much for Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
For people like professional athletes (especially those who wear a lot of heavy gear like American football players), and firefighters and soldiers, this sort of device could be a real benefit and help avoid debilitating heat-stroke.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Another useless item, unless it can somehow cool the head once it reads certain degree over x seconds... and integrated web or eye cam and optional headlight.

mattfoo2324

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]lol when was the last time an NFL player died of over heating?[/citation]

Do your homework...
"Heatstroke is the third leading cause of death among athletes in the United States. Thirty-nine football players -- 29 in high school -- have died from heat stroke since 1995, according to data compiled by the National Center for Catastrophic Injury Research at the University of North Carolina."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4372652
I'd say that was reason enough for a helmet like this.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]mattfoo2324[/nom]Do your homework..."Heatstroke is the third leading cause of death among athletes in the United States. Thirty-nine football players -- 29 in high school -- have died from heat stroke since 1995, according to data compiled by the National Center for Catastrophic Injury Research at the University of North Carolina."http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/rec [...] id=4372652I'd say that was reason enough for a helmet like this.[/citation]

Exactly. It's not really the professional sports where we need the attention. If the price of this device is VERY reasonable, then I can see it MAYBE being used by some teams. But, unless it's subsidized by someone other than the pockets of the players, I don't see much point in spending a ton of money on this device where proper understanding of hydration and physical limitations will provide a much better cost-benefit ration.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]lol when was the last time an NFL player died of over heating?[/citation]
Well, we (we being MN) had a player die back in 2001, but the court case was only settled last year.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mattfoo2324[/nom]Do your homework..."Heatstroke is the third leading cause of death among athletes in the United States. Thirty-nine football players -- 29 in high school -- have died from heat stroke since 1995, according to data compiled by the National Center for Catastrophic Injury Research at the University of North Carolina."http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/rec [...] id=4372652I'd say that was reason enough for a helmet like this.[/citation]
Unfortunately, the sad statistic you quote is due more towards the inexperience of school and community coaches who are simply either ignorant of proper procedures or willfully (and if I had my way, criminaly) ignoring those procedures. Those same coaches work in environment that could never afford these helmets.

The Pro coaches know not to work-out their players in certain temps/humidity. However, as I said, most high school and youth coaches are just bumpkins walking in off the street, and lack that proper knowledge.

I agree though, that the helmet is just a bandaid for forcing all coaches at every level to be competent and accountable. Of course, the problem with coaches is their egos. Nothing gets them off more than telling 50 guys to run around in the heat till their brains boil. The Texas Tech football coach was fired last season after it was discovered he locked a player in a shed out on the field because the player had injuries and couldn't practice. So yeah, you think they're gonna want some helmet telling them they have to bench a player? Not likely.

mattfoo2324

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
sseyler and hellwig, I know exactly where you're coming from, just pointing out the truth to the idiot(s) who thinks its not a problem. By the way, the last NFL player to die of heat stroke was Korey Stringer of the Vikings (2001), as maestintaolius pointed out.

G

Interesting discussion....but to suggest that coaches "should" know better, and that only unsophisticated coaches would allow a student-athlete to die or get sick, is naive. I would suggest that the vast majority of football coaches are unsophisticated when it comes to significant health issues. Though the average number of deaths is 3-4 per year, in the last several years that number has increased to 6-8. As to cost, for your average high school or youth program the base cost is $2,500 plus $50 per helmet for a two year period ($25 per player per year). So, for a school with 100 players, the total cost average cost (including the fixed cost for the reader and software license) is only $37.50 per player per year. A great solution is for the booster clubs to pick up the $2,500 base cost and have a separate fundraiser or player-pay for the $25 per player. Don't you think that one death is too many to pass on this technology?
And, yes, I am with Hothead Technologies. Don't hesitate to contact me at aohara@hotheadtechnologies.com.

gns1223

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
with as much complaining and/or fear mongering that people do about cell phones, how well would a radio transmitter worn directly against the head really be accepted?

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
You could make it cheaper by dropping the radio and using a LED. It would be a ridiculously simple circuit that would be a battery to the thermo-resistor to the LED probability with a resistor or to. I'd say it would cost ~$10 retail tops.

G

This unit transmits at 1/100 the power of a cell phone and only transmits when a temperature spike is detected.

no more heat deaths

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Good point someguyperson. The problem with the LED solution is battery consumption. The other problem is players will NOT tell you they are feeling dizzy or disoriented in fear of appearing weak in front of their peers or coaches. This is a proactive solution not reactive. If a player goes down / collapses the damage is done..... Parents will pay for a $50.00 video game without blinking these days or $ 400.00 for a bat !

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Most American football players are so dumb that frying their brain is not a lost at all consider they've been functioning 10, 20+ years without one.

Very good for soldier, firefighter, miners and people that have to work in hot environment thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.