Heatsink Fan Not spinning

KittKatV

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
For some reason, my heatsink fan wasn't spinning even though I was in a game, which was causing it to heat up a little more than it would be at a comfortable temperature. The PC never shut off, but after I felt the bottom of my laptop, it did feel pretty hot. I turned it off and let a fan run under it for a while, and I've just turned it back on, the heatsink fan is now running again, but I figure this isn't an issue I should just write off until the next time it happens. So I figured I'd take care of this before something much worse occurs. Specs are below.Also, I'm not sure if this is part of the issue but for a while, it would spin really loudly even when running menial tasks like Skype or Google Chrome. It would be a while before the fan calmed down. I recently sprayed compressed air into the ducts to clean the dust out, I'm not sure if that might have had anything to do with it.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U
CPU @1.80 GHz 1.80 GHz
6.00 GB RAM (5.87 GB Usable)
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Graphics Card is Intel HD 4000
Windows 8 Operating System

If there's any more info needed, I'll provide it. Thanks in advance!

Kitty

Solution
These laptops can definitely build up dust as the air blows through them. I would try to vacuum and blow out the dirt. You may need do to carefully take the bottom off to get it all out, and the fan spinning again. The link below has a guide with images to walk you through this process.

http://www.howtogeek.com/194479/how-to-clean-the-dust-out-of-your-laptop/

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
These laptops can definitely build up dust as the air blows through them. I would try to vacuum and blow out the dirt. You may need do to carefully take the bottom off to get it all out, and the fan spinning again. The link below has a guide with images to walk you through this process.

http://www.howtogeek.com/194479/how-to-clean-the-dust-out-of-your-laptop/

Solution