Hello is 128GB ssd on a laptop enough?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michael1337

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
In buying a laptop for someone, he uses it for school, watches videos, playes small games and I guess plays Minecraft or something on it?

The laptop I chose has 128GB SSD and I was wondering, is this decent? Or is this like a huge rip off and can you like not do anything with it?

I mean its better than the 32GB laptops but it stills 128GB storage.

Thank you

Solution

No, for multiple reasons.
Slow, limited reliability, easy to lose.

Just get a laptop with a proper size drive. Either HDD or SSD, whatever fits in the budget.
240GB minimum.

For a non-techie user, I'd rather get them something with a 250GB HDD, vs a 128GB SSD.

USAFRet

Illustrious

My stepson just bought a Lenovo laptop at WorstBuy.
17", i5-6200U, 8GB RAM.
$450 = 410 euro.

An i3 something should fit in that 350 euro budget.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

yes i would have thought so though dollars to pounds/euros doesnt reflect the fact that hardware is quite a bit cheaper in the usa

but from here in the uk to the netherlands i would have actually expected the netherlands to get a bit more than i would here

certainly stuff i have looked at on highflow.nl i can buy it and pay for shipping to the uk and its still cheaper than buying it here

but guess if you insist on one specific laptop maker you arent doing yourself any favours really