HELP about "ransomware"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leyha

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
So a lot of news right now about "ransomware wanna cry", like a virus zombie in computer,That is very deadly, so my ask what i do To avoid the virus?, I use kaspersky anti virus software trial version, So can someone give me tips and trick so as not to get the virus

Solution
They did fix it. The patch that takes care of it came out in March. Win 10 isn't targeted from what I've read. Up to date OS is the biggest, followed by don't click on suspect emails or open office files. If you have a non patched win7 laptop and take it to an infected library, cafe, friends house, etc then you'll get it from the hole in your OS. Just by connecting to the wifi.

SPDHUNTER

Prominent
May 15, 2017
Three important things you should do.

1. Keep regular backups. Preferably on two or more hard drives.

2. Get a paid for anti-virus. Free or trail versions can have certain functions disabled or they don't give proper real-time protection.

3. Avoid opening strange emails with attachments. This is very important as a lot of these types of viruses act as a Trojan. So even if you have anti-virus, it can bypass the anti-virus and infect your computer. Usually occurs with new viruses when anti-virus companies has not had time to create a signature for it or your anti-virus failed to update.

I assume you're running Windows 10. Make sure it's fully updated.

Colif

Distinguished
Its an exploit based on a zero day fault found in windows, I think it depends on what version of windows you are using and how up to date you are with updates from Microsoft. Unlike others it doesn't rely on you visiting a web site or running an attachment from an email, you just need to be using the versions effected.

I don't know every target but many of them seem to be running XP still. Its why MS released patches for some OS that have long been unsupported, they had not been told the fault existed or it would have been filled years ago.

Colif

Distinguished
I am not aware of whether win 10 is targeted by the exploits. As I haven't received any updates from Microsoft since the last cumulative I have to think it probably is safe - or should I say, Microsoft haven't been made aware of any problems. The hole exploited by this virus wasn't known to MS or as I said, they would have filled it.

I would buy a subscription to Kapersky, they are one of the top 2 AV makers at moment so thats added safety

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

MS17-010 patched it back in March for Windows 10.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
They did fix it. The patch that takes care of it came out in March. Win 10 isn't targeted from what I've read. Up to date OS is the biggest, followed by don't click on suspect emails or open office files. If you have a non patched win7 laptop and take it to an infected library, cafe, friends house, etc then you'll get it from the hole in your OS. Just by connecting to the wifi.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In addition to keeping your OS and anti-virus/anti-malware apps up to date, you should also update your other applications (like MS Office, Adobe products, etc) as well.

Practicing good cyber-hygiene will also help immensely, as previously mentioned. If you frequent questionable sites on the 'Net, you can expect trouble. Be smart and stay current and you will avoid most pitfalls.

Leyha

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
I thought I would not get this virus because I,
1. just play games from steam
2. i just open fb and youtube, and rarely open the link bait
3. I diligently update any software except MS office

Colif

Distinguished
i have forgotten what internet looks like with ads, I often wonder what all the blank space is for.

Hide behind Ublock Origin, you can't even get to the suspect sites. Only browser it doesn't work on is Edge, main reason I don't use edge.

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Don't forget though some genuine sites rely on Ads for income. So, at your own risk of course, we should consider white-listing some sites. Adblockers are great but they can be a bit of a sledgehammer/egg solution.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Legit sites can still have bad ads though. I know the first time I became aware of this is when Kellybluebook, through a 3rd party ad server, was injecting infected ads onto people's computers. Even Tom's had this issue for a short while. Unless I need the ad to run, it's not getting through on my system.

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Everything you say is true, but it's also true that some sites need ads. If every single visitor to Tom's blocked all the ads then Tom's wouldn't exist.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
We first noticed WannaCry back in February, so it's been around a little while. What makes this attack different is the exploit that is helping it spread.

In a blog post from our threat labs on Friday, we had seen around 50,000 detections -- this is now up to ~213,000 worldwide, across 112 countries.
Avast blocks WanaCrypt0r 2.0, and our threat labs recommends that in addition to having Avast, or your ransomware protection of choice, you also keep your systems up to date and patched, and most of all, stay frosty and practice good security hygiene :)

Most Ransomware is self-inflicted but the attacks of the weekend didn't need to rely on peoples' stupidity of clicking on links in Spam e-mails. They just stormed in.

It doesn't matter how many PCs you have or what you use them for, the front door to the Internet and the outside world is your router and if its firewall isn't strong enough, they can break in.

You can get some satisfaction about its vulnerability by taking the ShieldsUp test at the Gibson Research website www.grc.com.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Old threads! Sometimes it's nice, and sometimes it is very unfortunate to read due to situations. Ransomware project No More Ransom is a good option. For those who wonder, Kaspersky has an entire list of decryptors, so do other vendors. Malwarebytes and anti-virus of your choice remain a top solution. And you can always read more about removals here and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.