HELP. ad or news virus or malware--tried macafee and NO help at all

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
got a malware or virus somehow. it is one of those popup newsbulletin or ad bulletin video popups. Scaned with Macafee and removed bunch of malware. but the popups still happening. also tried malwarebyte's Anti-malware program too and still didn't work. Please HELP. these guys at Macafee charges $100 to remove malware that their own protection program Missed-----this is ripp off. If i contact Dell support, they also charge ~$150. This is just unreasonable. Please Help, most knowledgeble people in the net.

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
Please help Experts. This Malware or Virus is ALSO causing my Macafee virus protection software to Turn OFF its Firewall. I can't turn it back on. this is dangerous to me and my computer

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
I ran #1 already-- malwarebytes.com program and it didn't fix it. I will try running #2 and see what happens. thank you so much i never had a virus or malware that turns off the Macaffee firewall before. very weird ?

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

Ok but it came with my DELL computer free but it expires on dec 22nd 2011. so i will probably have to get a new one. anyway, combofix is giving me a warning that i have to remove the Macaffee first or my computer will be damaged. i am uninstalling the macaffee now, but it is taking a while. :(

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

Comcast gives you free Norton security suite so i installed that after Combofix was done with its thing. Not sure what the heck it did. but made the internet icon on top of the screen go away. kind of bumber. and it spit out page full of something on the Notepad. I have NO idea what i all means. What do you think i should do now ??

nikorr

Distinguished
/It is not a good idea to install AV on infected system./

Can u do this?
Other option would be to put this disc to another PC and scan it OFF-line(means-u will not boot or run any program from the infected drive!, just scan it)

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

What disc ?? which disc do i put in another PC which i don't have ?

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

oh. i can't strip the hard drive out. don't know how. and i don't have another PC to put it in either. unless i strip the hard drive and take it to BEST BUY store and have them scan it ?? but they charge $100 for that.
I ran #1 and #2 as you told me.. so hopefully this fixed the issue. we will see. I installed that NORTON Suite antivirus from Comcast cable company and NOW, my computer is running a Bit Slower. Is this Normal ???

and What happened to the Quick pick bar up there with Explorer icon and all that ?? it disappeared for some reason.

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
buy a window cd/dvd and install new window to completely resolve this problem.
and after that you can use windows security essential (or windows defender) which is free for lifetime, and then you can reinstall window any time you want
also this will cost you less than $100

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

How does this work ? do i have to download this ? I completely wiped out the Macafee and installed Norton protection package. seems like that may have helped. I am not getting the weird AD popups anymore. could it have been possible macaffee itself was infected ?

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

Looks like its on. its got a check mark on smart firewall per norton. its running a full scan right now. but this Norton stuff is slowing down my computer somewhat. this program must be massive. Macaffee didn't slow down my computer at all so this is kind of sucks.

aford10

Distinguished
Hey fedace. I see you've been introduced to my guide. I think I can help you here.

The text document you saw after combofix was done, was the summary of what it found during it's scan.

Did you happen to run Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking? If not, that's the first thing you should do. Make sure to run the update on the virus definitions first.

Another nice program, is superantispyware. It's also listed in the guide. Ran in safe mode with networking, it's a nice compliment to Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner.

The AVG rescue disc, is a boot disc that you create to scan the hard drive, without booting off the hard drive. You download the file, and burn it to a CD. You'll need to set the DVD drive as the first boot device, and restart. The system will then boot off the CD instead of the hard drive, and start scanning your hard drive. The benefit of this, is the processes and programs on the hard drive won't be active, so there's much less chance of the virus influencing the malware scan.