HELP: Avast boot scan causes black screen!

Marpola12

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
Avast problem or virus?

Hi, I sheduled the boot scan last night. It was because I downloaded new programs I wanted to test for virus. When I turned on my computer today, nothing came up on the screen! I have tried to connect my tv to the computer, but no signal. The USB ports are working fine, and there are light in my keyboard and mouse. I tried to take in my recovery disk, and restart, but same thing, no signal. I dont know what happened, if it is avast boot scan which causes this, and I tried to click all sorts of things on my keyboard, F9, F11...

My pc is custom built, and I have run the Avast boot scan once before, and it worked fine.
It is an computer, not a pc.

Hope someone can help, because I dont want to send this in, and pay alot of money to professional IT experts.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Have you tried booting a live operating system (for example, a Linux distribution)? Or have you tried using a recovery disk for Windows? If you just try to boot up with them, you'll see whether or not the output for the monitor is the issue. If it still has a problem, it could be the output for the display. If you can't boot into anything else, then there could be a bootloader problem, or and MBR issue.

From what I'm reading, the most likely thing sounds like the output for your monitor doesn't work. Maybe try using another port? If you're using HDMI out, maybe try using DVI, just to see if you can get the screen to work. If you can narrow it down to the output, that will likely be an easier fix, as it would mean swapping out hardware/cables.