Question Help Buying my First Laptop

Apr 18, 2020
Hello Tom’s Guide!

After a long time saving and lurking around laptop forums, I am now ready to make my first purchase! I came upon this ASUS laptop which has many great reviews;

ASUS VIVOBOOK 15
F512DA-EB51
AMD Quadcore R5-3500U
AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
8gb DDR4 RAM
256gb PCIe SSD

I’m not an expert on laptops and upon purchase, I wish to buy an additional 16gb stick to upgrade it to a total of 20gb (4gb soldered) and add an additional 2.5“ 500gb SSD. The laptop will be used for office with lots of apps running simultaneously like Slack, Zoom, Office with multiple files open and at least 10tabs of chrome open. I don’t intend to game heavily on this device but weekend GTA 5 sessions wouldn’t hurt.

My question is, there are conflicting reviews regarding upgrading the RAM. Some reviewers said its best to upgrade to either 12gb or 20gb. But some has said that upgrading to mismatching RAM will cause instability to the computer due to AMD and its best to leave it at 8gb (4x2), something about dual channel. I would very much like to have a 16gb device without any risk of destroying my laptop.

Some has also said that it only has 1 PCIE slot for memory. If possible I would like to add a 500gb ssd or even a 1tb hdd primarily for work data.

I would very much appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction. This laptop looks very premium (at least to me) and it fits exactly right into my budget. But if I can’t upgrade the RAM or the storage, I might look elsewhere.

Thank you and please stay safe!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 3
Arul Dilip Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
Ahmad-PC- Laptop Tech Support 2
madhav_ Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 3
O Laptop Tech Support 1
Z Laptop Tech Support 1